• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

catch Error

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I know a lot has been written about this subject and I have tried to educate myself. The API and most people, it seems, state that you should not catch an error because they are too serious to recover from. But some people make exceptions, and I am unsure about my situation.

I have a small web application that accesses and updates MySQL without pooled connections and sends out emails from time-to-time using multiple threads. This is the general form of my servlets:

Is trying to catch an error like this a reasonable approach? Will it even work? If I stop doing this in my servlets, what will happen if an error occurs?
Thank you.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Windows XP Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IMO, it is useful to know what is going wrong in at very high level . so some time, you can even catch some Error (for instance AssertionError) , though it is not recommended in javadoc.
I would have replace

with

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you going to recover from the exception in some way? By providing a default in case of failure, perhaps? Retry an operation? Some other recovery scheme?

If not, then don't catch it. All you're doing in that case is getting in the way.

Define a top-level error handler in the deployment descriptor and let it log any exceptions and send the user to a customer-facing page that explains that the error occurs. Under no circustances expose the user to something like a stack trace.

Harry Jones
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not sure whether your question is directed to me or Mr. Venkatasamy. After I close resources and invalidate the session, I send the user to a JSP with "A system error interrupted processing ..."
But, no, I don't try to recover from the error itself.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you are not recovering from the error, you shouldn't catch it. Use the deployment descriptor mechanism as I described.

Harry Jones
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'll pursue your recommendation. Thanks to all who responded. I appreciate it.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic