• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java Application Architecture: Modularity Patterns with Examples Using OSGi

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Kirk Knoernschild
Publisher   : Prentice Hall
Category   : Design Patterns, UML, and Refactoring
Review by : Amit Ramchandra Ghorpade
Rating        : 7 horseshoes

When we speak of architecture of Java applications, be it desktop or web, we start with the high level specifications, impart service level or functional patterns and move on to the UMLs.
I have rarely seen any design worrying about modules in the system since we take for granted that our design decouples them implicitly.
This book was my first encounter with modules with Java and I was surprised to read the importance of modularity in Java applications.
The first section introduces to the modularity concepts. If you are already familiar with them, you can directly head to patterns in section 2 after taking a brief look at chapter 7.
The section 2 on patterns is divided into types of patterns making it easy for the reader to focus on what exactly he needs.
Most of the base patterns stuff I believe is imparted by the design itself, even if its not given special treatment. Module facade was a totally new thing for me, I always thought facade is meant for some service.
The next section talks of OSGi, which was interesting again because my view of OSGi was that its more into services.
To put it together it is a good book, with real world examples for novice through intermediate readers and a handy reference for experts. One go-through of the book will certainly bring up better designs and add another facet to the application architecture.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Book Review Team
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Review by : Mohamed Sanaulla
Rating        : 8 horseshoes

This book consists of two parts:
1. Deals with the basic concepts related to modularity
2. Patterns dealing with modularity.

The book deals at the architecture level and the patterns described therein are more suited to building a good architecture and also a great class design.

The first part deals with building the base for understanding the patterns described in the later part of the book. It doesnt require any prior experience in OSGi and there are around 2 chapters which are very specific to OSGi. The patterns are well described and each has a description, consequences, sample implementation of the pattern.

The content is quite easy to understand and all the concepts are very well depcited using informative images.

I would not recommend this book for someone not well versed with basic OOP concepts, code level design patterns. If you have quite a bit of experience and are in a mid-senior level developer then you can really appreciate the content of the book. And its not necessary for you to read through all the patterns in depth, but its useful if you are aware of what patterns are available so that you can refer to it when ever required.

In short this book tries to bridge the gap between architectural design and the class level design in Java based applications.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic