• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

hibernate, HibernateUtil.getSession(), returning null

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello. Well i'm kind of a newbie on hibernate technology and i'm currently experiencing a problem.
i'll try to explian the best i can.

I have a sql database which schema is called thehiveschema (i can access it through netbeans so it is allright).

So, as far as i know, to consult, update or what else on the DB with hibernate i have to create a session and a transaction. So i have this code:

NUMBER 1

NUMBER 2

note that this code wasn't made by me but i assume it is right because i have searched for several examples online and they look like the same

my hibernate.cfg.xml is like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE hibernate-configuration PUBLIC "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Configuration DTD 3.0//EN" "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-configuration-3.0.dtd">
<hibernate-configuration>
<session-factory>
<property name="hibernate.dialect">org.hibernate.dialect.MySQLDialect</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.driver_class">com.mysql.jdbc.Driver</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.url">jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/thehivischema?zeroDateTimeBehavior=convertToNull</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.username">Neves</property>
<property name="hibernate.connection.password">deisisec</property>

<mapping class="db_interaction.utilizador"></mapping>
</session-factory>
</hibernate-configuration>

Well when I execute number one I get: "Erro no hibernate: null" After debugging it i realized that the problem is on Session s = HibernateUtil.getSession();. Apparently this is null

can somebody helpe me on this?

thanks in advance

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think you need to get a Session like this:

Pedro Neves
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

James Boswell wrote:I think you need to get a Session like this:

And what shoul i return on getsession? :-/

James Boswell
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pedro

Simply return the Session object which your code already does. I think your problem is how you are creating the SessionFactory, not the Session.

Pedro Neves
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

James Boswell wrote:Pedro

Simply return the Session object which your code already does. I think your problem is how you are creating the SessionFactory, not the Session.

Hello James. Thanks for the answer. I have now tried like this:

It makes all sense but it does not work to.. I have tried to specify hibernate.cfg.xml configuration file on .configure("/hibernate/HibernateUtils.java/") but still does not work..

I saw a thread on a forum that tells that JRE version and project compilation version may differ (and should not). I already fixed that to but it was not that either.

kind regards ;)

James Boswell
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Pedro

What exactly happens when you run the code? What exception (if any) do you receive?

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Oracle Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Pedro,

As I can see in your hbm.cfg.xml, you have used <mapping class="db_interaction.utilizador"></mapping> tag. This leads me to believe that you are using annotations in the class file to map it with corresponding table. When we use annotations to map class to table we use AnnotationConfiguration() not the Configuration() which is ment to be used when mapping is defined in hbm files.

Below code seciton is completely correct and does not need to be changed-

The code secion that you have pasted seems to be correct. I think the problem might be in mapping of utilizador which is preveting the session factory creation.

You are facing issues while debugging because you did not follow the best practices of exception handelling. Exception should be caught only if you can handle it else we should let it pass through. In HibernateUtil you are eating the exception and printing only the abstact of error message which is of not much use.

Considering the fact that buildSessionFactory does not throw any checked excption and we are not even handling un-checked exception, I do not see any reason why you have inclosed session factory creation in try catch block. Please remove it as mentioned in below code section, then you will get the complete trace, which will help you identifying the root cause of error.

If you still face any issues, please post the complete error trace in this forum.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I Hope this issue has been resolved..

Actually You got NullPointerException in the initial ocde due to duplicate variable declaration in the try block.
once the static block execution completes, those variables are no more.. hence the static variables remained NULL.

Salil Vverma
Ranch Hand
Hibernate Oracle Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi GopaKumar,

The first code that petro posted does not have duplicate variable declaration in static block. It was like mentioned below.
Why was that breaking ?

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic