• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Are Setters described as Aggregation/Composition?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have a code like this, where Foo is passed to Bar (e.g. by Spring wiring):

Will UML look like this or is it a simple dependency?

Thanks,

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In my opinion, you can't tell from an example like that. It depends on the meanings of Foo and Bar, and more importantly on the meaning of the relationship between them. Can you consider the Foo to be part of the Bar? If so then it's probably an aggregation or a composition. So you really need a more concrete example to say anything definite.

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The setter has nothing to do with composition or aggregation. The two terms are about a relationship between two or more objects. Whereas composition implies ownership, aggregation doesn't. That is, with composition, if the "owning" object goes away, so does the "owned" object. With aggregation, the aggregated object can still continue to exist even without the aggregating object. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_composition#Aggregation

Junilu Lacar
Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I suppose that one could argue that using a setter to establish a relationship implies one or the other but I can give examples that show this is not true. If you say that invoking a setter implies aggregation, a setter implementation could clone/copy the object passed in and "own" the clone, thus, it's composition. The reverse argument could be made in favor of aggregation. I suspect that in most cases where an object reference is passed to a setter, it does indeed establish an aggregation relationship but you should not assume that is always the case.

Ranch Hand
VI Editor Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is not as simple of translating from code to UML. UML is supposed to express your design & intention, so from conceptual point of view aggregation & composition hold different meaning..but when it is translated to code they might end up being implemented the same way. This is similar with design patterns, a lot of design patterns have similar implementation code-wise but the design pattern itself convey the meaning or intent that the designer want to solve.

Having said that, from my previous experience working on code generation portion of UML tools, typically the translation from UML to Code are:
- Aggregation/Composition implemented as an array or collection
- regular link implemented as standard single attribute of the object

Setter/getter has no direct meaning toward the relationship whether it is simple relationship or aggregation/composition, from UML design point of view it is irrelevant. Most UML tools can be customized to generate getter/setter, parameterized constructor, or both for all the important attributes.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic