• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Not sure but i might say it dynamic.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
This site is one of the best forums and friendly too, no doubt in that.

But i think whenever a user say "A" posts a question and then submits it then he/she waits for the answer. Sometimes the user "A" might get the answer in 3 to 5 minutes but the OP i.e. "A" has no way of knowing that an answer has been posted by some other user until an unless the OP refreshes the page, yes we get an email saying that an answer has been posted but that is only true when the OP logs out.

Similarly suppose a user "B" goes to "Beginning Java" section he/she sees some questions and the time at which the user "B" is seeing the questions there are 2 more questions submitted by some other users, but the user "B" is not aware of these 2 questions until an unless he/she refreshes.

I don't want to compare this site with other sites, but i think there are sites like Facebook where when we are online and someone posts something in a group of which we are member, we get a notification without refreshing.

Similarly on Stackoverflow we get to know if there's some new activity (like an answer to our questions, or some new question been asked by some other user) without refreshing the page.

This is just a suggestion and i know everyone is volunteer here and its too much to ask from a site which is so good.

Thanks.

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I cannot comment on the idea, but something caught my attention:

Rameshwar Soni wrote:... yes we get an email saying that an answer has been posted but that is only true when the OP logs out.

The emails should arrive regardless of whether you're logged in or not. I'm pretty sure they arrive to me before I log out, since I usually don't log out at all. If you observe another behavior, please let us know, we'd investigate the matter.

Rancher
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, the emails are sent regardless of the logged-in status. I'm not convinced of the value of dynamically updating a page with follow-up posts. It could be many hours until that happens - I've never heard of users keeping the page open that long. Most just seem to go back to their posts after some time, either prompted by an email if they have elected that option, or without.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done, or wouldn't be interesting to do, just that I don't see much value in it.

Rameshwar Soni
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Martin Vajsar wrote:The emails should arrive regardless of whether you're logged in or not.

I wasn't aware of this. The reason might be i never had both my email account and coderanch opened at the same time to have a look at it.

Anyways thanks Martin and Ulf .

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic