• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Apache axis2 and Rampart not preventing 'replay attacks'

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

We use one of the older versions of apache axis2 for our web services framework. We are using rampart 1.2 as part of that.

Am trying to use password digest with ‘nonce’ and ‘timestamp’ mechanism for authentication. We’re getting rampart to do the verification.
I’ve got the authentication verification mechanism working fine (inc. password callbacks, etc.)

The issue I’m having concerns getting rampart to recognise a ‘replay attack’, basically the functionality of the rampart module associated with recognising these seems to be inactive.
I can send the same security header to my axis2 service any number of times (even sending a security header I generated yesterday) and it authenticates fine and completes the webservice request.

My best guess is : I’m missing a config setting somewhere for the rampart module that enables the functionality to detect replay attacks.
I’ve tried both the config suggestions given in the links below (in the services.xml file) and neither seem to work :-
http://hasini-gunasinghe.blogspot.com.au/2012_02_01_archive.html
http://axis.apache.org/axis2/c/rampart/docs/configurations.html (right at the bottom, it mentions ‘Replay attacks’)

Anyone able to help or give me some idea what I'm missing and where (I'd imagine it's config setting related) ?

I've got the module declaration for rampart in my axis2.xml file :-

And I have what I believe to be the rampart config settings in my services.xml file after all my operations are declared ;-

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I can't speak to the ReplayDetection feature, but there used to be a timeToLive element in the parameter/action section that would allow you to specify how long security credentials were good - something like "<timeToLive>10</timeToLive>" - in conjunction with a parameter/action/items: Timestamp. That would prevent such attacks after "timeToLive" seconds have passed. Not the same, but a start.

Sasparilla and fresh horses for all my men! You will see to it, won't you tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic