• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Bench Marking JSP

Ranch Hand
IBM DB2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I want to calculate exactly how long a JSP page takes to load. How Can I accomplish this ? I'm assuming get timestamp using javascript onLoad , when the page finishes loading ? And where can I get the time for when the page starts to load ?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The Firebug extension for Firefox measures overall loading time, as well as page rendering time. That may be all you need (unless you want to automate this, in which case Google Analytics may be sufficient).

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Generally, the time any web page takes to load can be broken down into
a) Time spent in sending request to server
b) Time spent in servlet to service the request.. this can be further divided to time taken by database and time taken in buisness logic
c) TIme taken to render the JSP
d) Time taken to send the rendered HTML and static resources back to the client
e) TIme taken by the browser to render the HTML on the browser screen + run initialization javascript

Not sure, which you want to profile. Profiling onLoad will basically do part of e). But, if you want to make your website fast, you should be looking at the whole thing

The way I do it is divide up the profiling into client side profiling and server side profiling. There are tools like YSlow that profile your web page on the client side and provide reccomendations. Also, Chrome comes with an inbuilt monitor that help you monitor the client side activities. Firefox comes with a plugin that is similar called Firebug. I believe IE also comes with a profiler now, but I haven't used it

For server side profiling, my employer has used load testing tools to identify slow pages, and then we have just inspected logs to and monitored database to find hotspots within the code.

Evacuate the building! Here, take this tiny ad with you:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic