• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java 6 SOAP Servers V Microsoft's WCF?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I've noticed over the years the java and Microsoft seem to flip-flop. Microsoft invents ODBC and Sun then invents JDBC. Microsoft invents ASP and Sun/Java invents JSP. I'm not sure if COM+ or EJB came first but they have a lot of common features.

This got me wondering about SOAP servers... Microsoft has become pretty sophisticated with many flavors of WCF (windows communication foundation). Plain old SOAP servers in Microsoft land are very old fashioned and the many flavors of WCF servers accommodate a gazillion different protocols (including many flavors of "standard" SOAP) and have a gazillion configuration/hosting options and special features (like WFC RIA) to aid programmers in the task of making public APIs for SQL Server databases.

So what is the latest trend in the Oracle/Sun/Open Source community with regard to descendants of SOAP servers? Last I heard Sun/Oracle provided a standard implementation of old fashioned SOAP servers in Java 6. That was good at the time but it that was a while ago.

I was just reading the documentation on Java 6 SOAP servers and discovered that I'm constrained to passing only primitives and XMLGregorianCalendar objects.... Hmmm... that is kinda limiting... When one is limited to only sending/receiving primitives, the function argument lists can become very long! I know this from bitter experience!

What is new in the open source world of Java SOAP servers? Has any progress been made since the Java 6 SOAP feature?
Hmmm... I just did a google search and discovered that JMS can do SOAP http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/articles/murphy-soa-jms-092653.html. Is anyone using this?

The reason I'm asking is that I want to keep my java skills current.

Thanks
Siegfried

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic