• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Jail Break

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My child is asking me about Jail Break, which is a new thing with iPod, which I know nothing about. I heard of this for the first time today. As a concerned parent, I am just wondering what JailBreak is. What I heard is that it is illegal in Japan, not illegal in the United States, and Apple does not want people to use it. There is some worry that it could damage the iPod, but it adds functionality to the iPod, in fact so much functionality that one is able to download applications for free that are not intended to be free.
So I am wondering, is this illegal or not?
Is it safe to get on an iPod?

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
IOS jailbreaking

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kevin Tysen wrote:My child is asking me about Jail Break, which is a new thing with iPod, which I know nothing about. I heard of this for the first time today. As a concerned parent, I am just wondering what JailBreak is. What I heard is that it is illegal in Japan, not illegal in the United States, and Apple does not want people to use it. There is some worry that it could damage the iPod, but it adds functionality to the iPod, in fact so much functionality that one is able to download applications for free that are not intended to be free.
So I am wondering, is this illegal or not?
Is it safe to get on an iPod?

Jailbreaking (as far as I know) is legal in most countries. The reason that apple doesn't want you to jailbreak is that apple prefers people to not have access to free applications that are usually paid etc. Downloading apps for free which should cost money, however, is illegal, so it would be wise to avoid this. And finally, Yes - it is safe (if you know what you are doing). You need to make sure that you are downloading legit jailbreak software, so looking further into it would be a sensible option. If you do decide to jailbreak, then you can pretty much push the iPod to it's limits (great)!

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Christopher McKay wrote:The reason that apple doesn't want you to jailbreak is that apple prefers people to not have access to free applications etc.

Bull doody. There are tons of free apps for iOS available through the app store. Jailbreaking has nothing at all to do with free or not. There are lots of paid jailbreak apps as well.

Apple itself offers lots of free software.

Jailbreaking allows apps to use features of the phone that aren't allowed through curated apps in the App Store. Nothing more.

You need to make sure that you are downloading legit jailbreak software

Agreed.

I jail broke my iPhone 4S to get access to an app that I needed that wasn't otherwise available. My 5S is not jailbroken because that feature I was looking for is now available as a standard part of iOS 7.

Christopher McKay
Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Bear Bibeault wrote:

Christopher McKay wrote:The reason that apple doesn't want you to jailbreak is that apple prefers people to not have access to free applications etc.

Bull doody. There are tons of free apps for iOS available through the app store. Jailbreaking has nothing at all to do with free or not. There are lots of paid jailbreak apps as well.

Apple itself offers lots of free software.

Jailbreaking allows apps to use features of the phone that aren't allowed through curated apps in the App Store. Nothing more.

You need to make sure that you are downloading legit jailbreak software

Agreed.

I jail broke my iPhone 4S to get access to an app that I needed that wasn't otherwise available. My 5S is not jailbroken because that feature I was looking for is now available as a standard part of iOS 7.

Sorry, in that quote I am not referring to apps that are paid that shouldn't be free.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Sure, anyone who develops software should take a strong stance agains software piracy, be it Apple, Google, Adobe, or us as individual developers. But that's an orthogonal subject to jail breaking whose motivation is device access rather than piracy.

Look! I laid an egg! Why does it smell like that? Tiny ad, does this smell weird to you?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic