• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Can someone help me choose correct CMS for back-end of Java software

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I’m trying to build a backend for a specific Java software that I use.
I need to give my customers a “Logged In” area, with personalised setup, where they are able to upload files.

These files will be transferred and used on a stand-alone server which runs a Java program, that will generate an html report.

I need to be able to upload this report to a personal area of my client (using ssh or MySQL query), and it will be automatically displayed in their personal area.

Which CMS is best to choose? I would appreciate any pointers.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From what little you have told us, I think just about any CMS will do. In fact, I don't see the need for any CMS. A web site where users can log in and see web pages that are generated elsewhere is easily realized w/o any CMS. Why do you think you need one?

Bazar Shumni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well apparently this is due to the lack of my skill for web programming. It would probably take me a few months to create both front-end and back end from scratch. Learning everything on the way.

And it would probably have lots of ways of getting privileged information my clients have. I need to reassure them that the information they post to the site will stay private. Its imperative.

Drupal as any other cms, has lots of exploits both private and public on the market, but it has a good team of core developers who patch the system rather quickly.

In case I build the system from scratch I would not even know if the system has been hacked unless it is defaced, which I doubt it will.

Considering Drupal I have no idea how to upload the Html reports directly to Mysql database without screwing up the system, and keeping the html reports visible only to the administrator and the user.

That’s my problem, at the moment.

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Oracle WebCenter Content is good CMS.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have no experience in web programming then, with all due respect, you should not be in charge of setting up a secure system.

I'm confused now what you want to do, though. In your first post you said that a report would be generated by a an external system which needed to be displayed in the client's area. Now you're saying a report needs to be "uploaded to MySQL" - what does it mean to upload a report to a DB?

Bazar Shumni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
“you should not be in charge”. I agree. Totally.  but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

We both know that there is no “secure system” per se. I need a relatively secure system.

The system would be made of a “production server” that runs Java software able to crunch data, and produce html report.

At the moment I am working with my clients through their email. This is both my front-end, and back-end of the system. It is a relatively secure way of handling their data.

I need another server which would host web front, and back-end, where they can view the reports, upload new data, and new files.
You see what I mean?

Mot modern CMS store the html data in database, I am thinking of uploading reports to the database, with encryption, and access by user rights.

Bazar Shumni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vinod Tiwari wrote:Oracle WebCenter Content is good CMS.

Yep it is a good product, I just suspect they will charge me an arm and a leg for their services.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We are using Alfresco, and security is configuration driven. You can configure it to go against your LDAP, and setup user specific folders. You can configure triggers on folders that will automatically trigger scripts when a file is uploaded into Alfresco.

You can also use it to build web pages using freemarker templates and groovy scripts (I think). If you are not comfortable with Java, and more comfortable with scripting languages like groovy, you might want to consider this.

Bazar Shumni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:Alfresco

Thank you. Looking in to documentation.

P.S. My system is unfortunately user driven. Keeping in mind their pricing policy, everything I make will go in their pocket. System is neat though.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What pricing policy? The Alfresco Community Edition is free to use.

IMO, Alfreso does have a steeper learning curve than other CMSes, though, and it is likely way, way overkill for the requirements described so far.

Bazar Shumni
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Overkill not necessarily means a bad thing. Alfresco is more of a CRM rather than CMS. It is possible to put a lot of business operations, and automate the processes.

It is a neat system, a couple of years ago I would jump to develop my whole business in it.

At the moment I just need a proper back-end for one of my projects.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic