• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Need Help finding Location of Administrator Logs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I searched for forum looking for a topic and/or post and couldn't find it, if there is a post on this, please point me to it or where I can find it in documentation.

When a user gets banned by an administrator, is this recorded in an Administrator Log? if not which Log and where would I find that?

Thanks.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Alex,
Welcome to CodeRanch!

If that is logged anywhere, it is in the "moderation log" up top (which you only see when logged in as a moderator.) Otherwise, you'd have to look in the database to see who is banned.

Alex Tinsley
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm... My moderation log does not show banned users. I can see in the Administration Control Panel the link for Banned Users, and there I can see users getting banned, but it doesn't say who did it. Is there a setting that can be toggled to allow banning of users to be filtered from the Moderation Log that I need to reset?

Since the Moderation Log isn't logging this info, I was curious if there was a text file in the root directory of the server that is being updated (behind the scenes) that a system administrator could access. I imagine that file might be rather large, it should provide more info that what is being displayed in the Admin and Moderator Log sections.

Thanks for your quick response and help on this matter.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No special text file exists for JForum. (The reason I wasn't sure if it was logged is that we've extended our copy of JForum heavily here at the ranch.)

Alex Tinsley
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the info. I know how frustrating it can be when noobs ask questions. Is there a configuration for what gets put in the moderation log and where would that be? is there documentation on this that you can point me to and I'll figure it out from there. Thanks for all your help.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am fairly certain that there is no documentation on this. Your best bet is to perform various admin operations and see what gets logged there. And yes - not all admin operations do get logged.

Beauty is in the eye of the tiny ad.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic