• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Choose Offer

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi

I know this is a very personal thing. But as you know I was sacked a couple of months ago.

Now I have the possibility of working in three different places. I would need some advice .

I am 31 years old. I have been programming in Java for 4.5 years now.

I have got an offer for working in Java/Javascript also of using a proprietary tool. The good think is that they work with banks and I would be developer and consultant(visiting leaders banks, facing clients)

I think that is good for me because there are a lot´s of developers but less developers with experience in Finance. The job is in a very important financial city. The job is permanent with 6 month trial period

Another position is with a very important credit card supplier the pay 50% more than the other one . Two years contract. It is for programming in Java and Perl.

The other one is through a consultancy it is in my home city close to the beach and with my family. 3 years contract, work with java, relaxed and low pay.

Any more experience can give me your opinion, please?

Thanks

Regards

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which one will make want to go to work in the morning?

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's really hard to say. Workplaces are hard to judge beforehand. You never know what an environment is like until you go work there.

What is easy to decide on is what you want - Money / Health benefits / Possibility of growth opportunities / The brand you work with. Pick what you want first and then try to judge which job would give you the most satisfaction ( which is what Bear is alluding to ). If you can get these from the same workplace - great !

The corollary is equally true. If you are sure you will never get any satisfaction from working on project X but it quenches your thirst for Y, don't pick it.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic