• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

A programmatically added AjaxBehaviour into a CommandLink doesn't work

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm adding a an AjaxBehaviour to a commandLink (both are programmatically created). I've tried two ways for adding the AjaxBehaviour but none of them worked. However, the commandLink is successefully added and i can see it on the view.

Here is my code for adding the commandLink and the AjaxBehaviour :

for the first method for adding the Ajax behaviour i've used an Ajax Listener handler managed bean method, the following :

for the second method i created a new class :

Can someone tell me what is wrong in both of these two ways?. Cheers!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to the JavaRanch, Bouhmid!

My first question when I see code like this is to ask the following question: Why are you doing this in Java code instead of using a View Definition Language template definition?

bouhmid Feki
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote:Welcome to the JavaRanch, Bouhmid!

My first question when I see code like this is to ask the following question: Why are you doing this in Java code instead of using a View Definition Language template definition?

Thanks Tim,
Actually i need controling the view programmatically from the server side becose i will need to persist components properties in the database in order to make the website having the CMS property of retrieving the previous state of the view after a disconnection/connection. But anyway this is really an important and practical technic to master for several usages since the code to create the components exists..
Sorry for my bad english , i wish you understood what i tried to explain.

bouhmid Feki
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, i made some steps ahead in order to resolve this issue and i asked another related question here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15808956/how-to-programmatically-add-an-ajax-behavior-to-a-uicomponent-with-primefaces. I m still waiting for an answer..

Thanks for help !

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The reason I ask is that whenever I see people playing around with JSF internals, it's usually a sign that they don't know what they are doing. JSF is designed to do as much as possible using POJOs, so the presence of code that invokes any javax.faces classes other than the model classes sets off a fire alarm with me.

bouhmid Feki
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you say so but let's take the Jquery .append() as an example : JSF programmers can't get the benefits of this method (and others methods from the Jquery API) as JSF only consider components generated by its own life cycle. For example, a commandLink added with the .append() method won't work even it's created statically. And for this reason i'm trying to extend my abilities using code in POJOs (as you said that JSF is designed to do as much as possible using POJOs). I think that JSF framwork will loose its charm if it can't work together with Jquery or at least offer another alternative like manipulating components dynamically.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have a lot of respect for jQuery. What little sanity I have left after dealing with JavaScript is mostly due to jQuery. But jQuery is not an appropriate mechanism to add/remove JSF View elements, since the View is generated by the server and jQuery operates on the client. AJAX is much better for that.

I have, in the years since I have been working with JSF (2006) only developed one application that dynamically modifies the JSF Component tree. It builds a data entry form based on interpreting general-purpose database schema definitions (It's a general-purpose database table editor). All of my other dynamic page layouts have been done by simpler means.

In most cases, you can dynamically add elements to a View by containing them in a dataTable or a ui:repeat construct. These components can replicate elements as needed, based on data in their respective Models. Dynamic partial-page updating can be done via AJAX, which will can the model to re-render the affected areas.

A JavaBean that's loaded with framework-specific code is not a POJO. POJO stands for Plain Old Java Object, and the ideal POJO works identically both within JSF and totally stand-alone (for example, in jUnit tests). In fact, a true POJO can be shared between multiple frameworks.

I do quite a bit of dynamic page work myself, so I'm not just speaking theoretically here. JSF really can accomplish a lot without requiring framework-specific coding, and that's by design, It's an Inversion of Control architecture where stock objects are wired together and controlled by JSF itself as opposed to more traditional systems where the program has to do all the work itself.

There are, of course, limits to what you can do in JSF without accessing the component tree, but they're not all that common. For one thing, once a page layout gets too dynamic, users get confused and you can't point to a picture in the documentation because what's on the screen won't look that much like the picture.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic