• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Failed OCJP

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Today I took the OCJP, and failed with 33% (very awful). The exam seemed so difficult. I bought this through pearsonvue as many might have done it. Does anybody have information about retake?
I thought I understood the concepts from Sierra and Bates, I even tested code, and followed the advices sugested in this forum (The only thing I didn't do was to take any practice test) I actually studied a lot for this exam. I want to stand up again and clear the OCJP gracefully. Good advices regarding my situation are welcome.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First, don't let it get you down. This is just going to make passing it next time feel that much
better. And grades aren't everything. Robert E Lee was 3rd in his class at West Point and US Grant
was in the bottom 40%. Did that matter in the long run?

I'd say write lots of little programs, Bates/Sierra said you should create about 200. Program every
different option you can think of. Try to enjoy it, learning something better everyday is fun, don't focus on
a schedule. The Sierra/Bates questions are too hard IMHO, but read the answers for learning. I used
Enthuware mocks, and bet the others are good too.

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Herland,

Welcome to CodeRanch!

First things first: take a break. For a week or so, just be in your comfort zone - follow your schedule, or go on a vacation. Do anything you want, except, anything related to exam. Don't even think about exam for a while.

After a week, you may start studying again. As John has mentioned, you'll need to write lot of code. Try to write code in any simple text editor (and not IDE like Eclipse, NetBeans etc.). This way, you'll learn small pitfalls (e.g. using correct case etc.)

Once you are comfortable with writing the code in simple text editor (notepad, vi, emacs etc.) and that code is compiling and running fine, then you can switch to IDE (but do it only for debugging purpose).

If you have any doubt regarding concept(s), feel free to ask.

If you don't have much background about Java, then be patient. Learning Java and clearing OCPJP is going to take time. Don't rush it just because someone you know cleared it in 2 weeks' study.

I hope this helps.

All the Best!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Herland,

dont worry. It happens with most of the OCPJP aspirants.

The more important thing is that you identify your weak areas and work on them.

Best of luck for your preparation. Cheers!!

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also, adding to the above suggestions, after you think that you are prepared to take the exam take some practice tests. These tests(simulators) not only expose you to the real test environment but also make you learn some new things. Besides, practical knowledge is always necessary. So make as many programs as possible. For even a small doubt make a program to clear it.

And visit java ranch frequently to read and answer others' queries. This will boost up your confidence and also an open discussion clears many other doubts as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!!

Whizlabs Java Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ,

Dont get down. try to find in which areas are you weak and work on them you will definetly get it for the next time GOOD LUCK

Regards,
James

Bartender
MyEclipse IDE Firefox Browser Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

The only thing I didn't do was to take any practice test

You'll have a hard time identifying your weak areas without taking practice tests. Take as many of them as you can. They will help you come up with a pattern to identify faults in code.

It takes courage to come here and post your result. Keep at it and you will succeed.

Herland Cid
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you a lot guys for your advices. Right now I am doing a in-deph study of the Sierra and Bates book, trying to understand every paragraph. Also I will write lots of code, also practice exams and then I will see if I am ready after one month. Thanks again

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Herland,

Take a note of the sample exam questions that you answer incorrectly, arranged by their exam objectives. Figure out the reason for your wrong answer and if required, re-read and understand the relevant sections. If you answer a similar question wrong again, you will be able to find out the gap - whether you did not grasp the concept well, did you simply rushed through the content, or do you need to read the exam questions more carefully.

Good Luck to you.

With respect,
Mala

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Herland,
I believe Mala has some wisdom in her post. (As do others). I will tell you what I am planning to do, and I haven't seen this anywhere although people have bound to have done it if I have thought of it. What I am going to do is to create a small project. My project coding will be behind where I am in the book at any given time. I will use the constructs in my project as I learn them, to cement them in my brain. It can't be thousands of lines of code but will be a small but "meaty" program. Once I pass the 803 test, I'm going to start with the code from the 803 project and continue on the project for the 804 with same approach. I am making the topic fun so I will have fun doing it.

Best of luck in your studies

James X Peterson
Whizlabs Java Support
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Herland Cid,

dont get down it happens some times. Take rest for few days and start preparation at your weak areas. you will get it for the next time.

GOOD LUCK

Regards,
James

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dont give up, never, heres a quote from Michael Jordan:

“I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.”

Never fear failure; fear not trying, fear not giving your best, fear losing focus, but never fear failure. Failure is the path to success. Failure is the sign that you’re headed in the right direction.

To succeed twice as fast, fail twice as much. Fail often, fail daily, and soon you will succeed. Jordan said, “I’ve never been afraid to fail.”

Mala Gupta
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

What I am going to do is to create a small project. My project coding will be behind where I am in the book at any given time. I will use the constructs in my project as I learn them, to cement them in my brain. It can't be thousands of lines of code but will be a small but "meaty" program. Once I pass the 803 test, I'm going to start with the code from the 803 project and continue on the project for the 804 with same approach. I am making the topic fun so I will have fun doing it.

Sounds interesting! How are you going to add fun to your preparation? I believe others can also benefit from it.

With respect,
Mala

Bob Scott
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Mala Gupta wrote:

What I am going to do is to create a small project. My project coding will be behind where I am in the book at any given time. I will use the constructs in my project as I learn them, to cement them in my brain. It can't be thousands of lines of code but will be a small but "meaty" program. Once I pass the 803 test, I'm going to start with the code from the 803 project and continue on the project for the 804 with same approach. I am making the topic fun so I will have fun doing it.

Sounds interesting! How are you going to add fun to your preparation? I believe others can also benefit from it.

With respect,
Mala

Hi Mala,
Well, this project idea is really limited only by your imagination and skill level. You can start from scratch, writing everything by hand or you can take a sample as your starting place. I noticed that Netbeans 7.3 comes with a sample that is a customer database. (It comes with the sample with and without Spring). If I use it I would use it without Spring because of my skill level. A scenario that is fun for one is boring for another so I might be the only one that does this. I haven't worked out the details but I'm going to start with a hotel that has conventions. I'll have a database initially that keeps up with these conventions. Then, perhaps while studying 804 I'll use this initial database to feed a corporate database from the initial database and many other fictional databases that I'll probably have to pretend that they are there by feeding the corporate database some fictitious data using code. Depending on your skill-set and what you want to do, you could even make this corporate database use Cassandra or something like that. The conventions don't have to be developer conventions, some could be fashion show conventions, or any type.

I realize that this is a rather unimaginative scenario, but it's one I can do during 803. I might change it up entirely when I start 804.

Well, that's what I've thought of so far. Thanks for writing back. If you have any suggestions or something I've overlooked or could add, I would gratefully appreciate it.

haydnguy
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic