• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Interface

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
"Decoupling interface from implementation allows an interface to be applied to multiple different implementations, and thus your code is more reusable."

Can any one give an example of what the above statement says?

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Connection, PreparedStatement, and ResultSet are all interfaces in the java.sql package. That same code (using interfaces) can work with any one of dozens of databases, and the only thing I have to change is the connection parameters passed to getConnection() in the first line. Each vendor provides their own implementation of those interfaces. I don't know or care anything about the names of the implementation classes or about how they do their jobs. All that matters to me is they meet the contracts set out by the interfaces. That is, the ResultSet implementation will have an executeQuery() method and a next() method.

Another canonical example is the Collections Framework in java.util. I can code to a List without caring whether it's an ArrayList or LinkedList or CopyOnWriteArrayList or whatever. Depending on what I'm doing, I may even be able to code to Collection, without even caring if it's a List or Set or something else.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You probably won’t need both assignments in the same application.

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Think of an interface as the spec that defines what a USB connection looks like. My PC will allow me to plug a phone, a thumb-drive, a printer, or any other of about a billion devices in. All of them basically do the same thing - transmit data. But the specific implementation of what is DONE with that data, and how it is used, is different.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

fred rosenberger wrote:But the specific implementation of what is DONE with that data, and how it is used, is different.

@Lovish: Just one reason to read the WhatNotHow (←click) page.

Winston

A "dutch baby" is not a baby. But this tiny ad is baby sized:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic