• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Programming practice and techniques for javascript

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

Has anyone seen any good book on designing/coding javascript programs?

Having coded in java, I see a lot of places where an error (misspell, type safety, etc.) can occur in javascript, where it wouldnt in java.

E.g. good practices like encapsulating methods or the same encapsulation that objects/classes offer in java.

Hi Elliot,

Has you book touched on this? Or maybe the majority of the book?

Having a lot of power on the front-end, with html 5, etc. the application written in javascript will grow big quickly. Organization is a requirement not just an ideal.

- k

author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Kathleen,

This is what my book is all about. As for concerns about errors, JavaScript has some really great tooling to help prevent and discover errors:

* JSLint / JSHint - discover syntax and style issues
* Unit testing - A good practice no matter what language you develop in, unit tests will help you make changes to your code with confidence, knowing that if any of your changes break major functionality, you'll know about it quickly.
* Chrome debugging tools - From stepping through the callstack to profiling memory, network, and painting operations, Chrome's debugging tools have got you covered.
* Tern - Code intelligence for JavaScript on par with the kind of intelligence you'd expect in a strictly-typed language.
* Trace.gl - visualize the entire code-flow execution of your program in realtime. Zoom in on specific methods, inspect variable values, explore the call-stack, all while your program is running live.

JavaScript tooling has really come a long way, and it's improving at an exponential rate. As the most popular programming on the planet, JavaScript has a significant advantage in this area. A lot of people have an interest in seeing the development process improve, and with all that momentum behind it, you can be sure that even better tools are right around the corner.

Kathleen Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think your book will be a great material to have. Good luck! (and to me too, hope I win).

Kathleen Angeles
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Eric,

I also checked the table of contents in Oreilly website. I think the list is great, and this is the book that I really need.

Basically, something like 'enterprise javascript development'.

Is that basically what you were targetting - a book like enterprise development with javascript in the middle?

edit: when i say enterprise, i probably mean all stuff going on in the front-end that involves javascript.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic