• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IVR portal system web service requirement

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

So there is already an IVR in place; however, a like for like system is being developed to be compatible with a new portal the modified IVR system will be moved to. There is a request to combine REST with SOAP and modify the wsdl with the additional system links.
My concern is that when the wsdl is updated with the new links then the IVR system will allow other clients to access private information (see example below)

client calls in to check the balance of his/her accound, and is able to check the balance of other clients' accounts as well.

Please help with the following
1. How to include the updates in the wsdl without all clients having access to it?
2. What is an ideal approach to cobine REST with SOAP and modify the wsdl?

please help!

Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I gather you are talking about " Interactive Voice Response " - why exactly are you considering a SOAP interface?

It is claimed that WSDL 2.0 provides for AXIS binding both SOAP and RESTful services.

As far as:

1. How to include the updates in the wsdl without all clients having access to it?

I have no idea... WSDLs seem to be intended to be public.. exactly what problem are you anticipating?

Won't you be using some sort of user sign in ID/password to allow access to accounts?

Bill

Patsy Morrow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The problem with the wsdl I'm anticipating is not that I don't want the clients to access the wsdl itself but I don't want other clients to access client information. In regards to using soap it's because it's already being used with the current ivr system but my supervisor wants to combine the two and gravitate more towards using rest from this point on. And I have no clue how to begin that task. Do you have a starting point suggestion?

William Brogden
Author and all-around good cowpoke
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Patsy Morrow wrote:The problem with the wsdl I'm anticipating is not that I don't want the clients to access the wsdl itself but I don't want other clients to access client information. In regards to using soap it's because it's already being used with the current ivr system but my supervisor wants to combine the two and gravitate more towards using rest from this point on. And I have no clue how to begin that task. Do you have a starting point suggestion?

1. WSDL is information about a web service - NOT individual user data. Knowing the variable names for user data does NOT get you access arbitrarily.

2. Moving to more REST - good - start by figuring out the "Use Cases" your clients will need. Then apply the RESTful architecture concepts to decide where REST fits in these use cases

Bill

Patsy Morrow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for the user case starting point, I will start there. In regards to the wsdl, I just wondered if there was some type of way the web service clients would not be able to see the customer's specific message in the wsdl?

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic