• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is it Clojure useful in desktop applications?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Ranch Hand
Clojure Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Clojure runs on the JVM, so it's useful anywhere Java is useful.

Ranch Hand
Scala Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Rogerio Kioshi wrote:

Hi,

Although you can develop any application in Clojure, I think developing UI applications is often centered around changing state of the windowing system and as such doesn't fit very well in the functional approach (and Clojure in particular). You can, but it doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Jacek

Rancher
Mac OS X Monad Clojure Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's a very nice library called Seesaw that makes building desktop Swing applications almost pleasant: https://github.com/daveray/seesaw

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
At a recent Austin Clojure Meetup someone demonstrated JavaFX integration, showing building and updating a UI from the repl. I don't do enough desktop app work to compare it to Seesaw, but it was quite interesting.

Jacek Laskowski
Ranch Hand
Scala Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

norman richards wrote:it was quite interesting.

Hi Norman,

That exactly reflects my sentiments - it's quite interesting and amusing to see how one could develop a decent UI application in Clojure (or any other functional language) as the process is more dynamic (REPL) as well as challenging where mutable state is wrapped by a thin layer atop a immutable/pure one. It'd be a highly recommended exercise for anyone who'd like to enter the functional programming scene - it's especially helpful to see someone who's good at FP doing it (I think I've seen a video on youtube or vimeo).

Jacek

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sean Corfield wrote:There's a very nice library called Seesaw that makes building desktop Swing applications almost pleasant: https://github.com/daveray/seesaw

I haven’t done much desktop Java with Clojure, although the little I have done I found it much easier than using Java itself. There is a function in Clojure called doto that helps you chain functions together, making your code much easier to follow and cleaner than the GUI code you need to write in Java. Is it following the functional programming idiom, possibly not in a pure way, but I'd consider it a more attractive option that writing all that GUI code in Java. However, there were quite a few GUI applications developed in Scheme over the years, so it would be interesting to see if there are any good concepts functional GUI development to discover.

I would certainly recommend using Seesaw if you wanted to develop Java desktop applications, along with the Netbeans platform.

Thanks
John.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! And this tiny ad too!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic