• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JBOSS Upgrade from 4.0.1sp1 to AS 7.1.1.final

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am a very new to Java/JBOSS world. We have a web application that runs on JBOSS 4.0.1 today and I have been asked to migrate it to JBOSS 7.1.1 . While trying to understand what an EAR file is: I came across the following wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EAR_(file_format)

Based on this link, there is a major architecture re-write between JBOSS 4.x and 5.x. (Unified Classloading not supported by JBOSS 5.x onwards).

My application creates only 1 EAR file, that contains 1 JAR and 1 WAR file. Since, it has only 1 EAR file, do I still have to worry about unified classloading or it should be a simple upgrade? Will this entail any java code/xml code re-write? What could be a good start?

I downloaded Eclipse indigo and the current code compiles and runs on JBOSS 4.x without any issues.

Also, at JBOSS 4.x version, i have to deploy the .ear file in the jboss server/default/deploy directory. What would be an equivalent for JBOSS 7.1.1.final? I tried putting .ear in to standalone/deployment directory but am getting below error. can someone please help?

----

22:00:54,972 ERROR [org.jboss.msc.service.fail] (MSC service thread 1-4) MSC00001: Failed to start service jboss.deployment.subunit."dtu.ear"."dtu.war".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.subunit."dtu.ear"."dtu.war".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE of subdeployment "dtu.war" of deployment "dtu.ear"
JBAS014777: Services which failed to start: service jboss.deployment.subunit."dtu.ear"."dtu.war".PARSE: org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.subunit."dtu.ear"."dtu.war".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE of subdeployment "dtu.war" of deployment "dtu.ear"
:
:
22:00:56,253 ERROR [org.jboss.as.server.deployment.scanner] (DeploymentScanner-threads - 1) {"JBAS014653: Composite operation failed and was rolled back. Steps that failed:" => {"Operation step-2" => {"JBAS014671: Failed services" => {"jboss.deployment.subunit.\"dtu.ear\".\"dtu.war\".PARSE" => "org.jboss.msc.service.StartException in service jboss.deployment.subunit.\"dtu.ear\".\"dtu.war\".PARSE: Failed to process phase PARSE of subdeployment \"dtu.war\" of deployment \"dtu.ear\""}}}}

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Yes migrating to JBoss 7 will take slightly more time since the new archicture of JBoss has a completely new directory layout and configuration.

Try checking all your deployment descriptor files (web.xml, persistence.xml) and any references to see if they comply with the new JEE 6 specs and try deploying your ear file.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic