• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

The Object-Oriented Thought Process (4th Edition) (Developer's Library)

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Matt Weisfeld
Publisher   : Addison-Wesley Professional
Category   : Beginning Java
Review by : Mohamed Sanaulla
Rating        : 8 horseshoes

If you were to ask me a book to understand the Object oriented concepts in a practical way- I will surely recommend "The Object Oriented Thought process".

These are some of the good things I found:
- the author tries to be independent of the programming language while explaining the concepts. You can see few Java examples to make things more clear, few C# examples and a mention of Objective C here and there.
- there has been use of UML class diagrams in a simple way and a dedicated chapter to understand UML class diagrams.
- in the first part of the book i.e upto around chapter 10 the code examples are fairly simple.
- some introduction to few advanced concepts in OOP like serialization, persistance, client-server, design patterns.
- the author tries to explain any new concepts right at the place where they were introduced.
- the author uses simple language to explain concepts.

These are some of the not so good things:
- the code examples in the application chapters are a bit overdose. They are a bit complicated for a newbie in Java, but the stress is not on the code but on the concepts.
- illustrations in few places were not required.
- code exmaples in XML chapters are not so clear and at few places the code is not indented correctly.

Bottom line is: Recommend this book to anyone who wants to get a good understanding of basic OOP concepts without much intervention of a programming language. Not much recommended to someone who's already been doing OOP development for quite sometime.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Every time you till, you lose 30% of your organic matter. But this tiny ad is durable:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic