• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Chat Application

Greenhorn
Notepad
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi everyone, hope you all are fine.
Dear all today i have a new problem, i want to develop chat application GUI based through socket programming.
I have little knowledge of Streams, Serialization, Socket programming etc . But i am failed ti find staring point , basically i have no idea is my how i start , please give me some idea .
Waiting for response.

Salman Mushtaq

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You can split the application is portions like: GUI front end, sockets backend, utilities or helpers etc. Then focus on each part separately.

You may want to check out the Java tutorial here for Swing(GUI) and networking (sockets) before you dive into the actual coding.

Salman Mushtaq
Greenhorn
Notepad
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Dear K. Tsang !
Can you tell me what kind of concept i need to develop chat application , actually i am student not professional , and i have read about streams , serialization and just one lecture on socket programming but i have craze to develop such applications , so before develop chat application i want to learn or read about topics that is necessary for chat application.

K. Tsang
Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Salman Mushtaq wrote:Dear K. Tsang !
Can you tell me what kind of concept i need to develop chat application , actually i am student not professional , and i have read about streams , serialization and just one lecture on socket programming but i have craze to develop such applications , so before develop chat application i want to learn or read about topics that is necessary for chat application.

You already know what topics is necessary. Refer to the tutorial link above and read about it. Start off with simple stuff, take the chat app apart piece by piece and develop each piece.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic