• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

GWT source jar inclusion for serverside code... all the spring jars?!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi all,

i'm trying to build gwt into my app. currently i've got a spring managed rmi service that is picked up and coded out through a servlet and a refreshing html page

i'd like to replace my front end with gwt, the question i have however is regarding the neccessary inclusion of source code for the serverside code, i need to include the spring class RmiProxyFactoryBean - does this mean i have to package up the spring source alongside the spring jars? it feels quite excessive??

i need spring because the whole app architecture including the exporting of the object hat i want to display through gwt is built with it, rmi is hte protocol that works, the httpinvoker doesn't... so i'm locked into needing the RmiProxyFactoryBean to recieve the stub and reserialize my object - therefore i can't think of anyway but including spring source?

any ideas be very much appeciated, thanks

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You would only need the Spring rmi jar. I think it is either named spring-remoting.jar or spring-rmi.jar. I am not sure if they seperated each remoting into their own jar, but that should really all that you need. So to speak. You would only need the .class files, not the sources.

Mark

jo das
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply but actually you do need to include the source code, eg it says here:

Fortunately, importing a 3rd party library in GWT is very similar to regular Java, with a few major differences:

1. The JAR file must have source code and compiled classes placed in the same folders as the source code
( http://developerlife.com/tutorials/?p=229 )

gwt wants to compile everything spo all the sources need to be available in the , so i've looked through the spring sources, and a dependency is aopalliance.jar for which i cant find the source... all seems like a mad goose chase to me at this point - any ideas?

cheers

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That can't be. Really it requires source code for everything. I don't think Google would be that restrictive. If it is that restrictive, which I am still doubting, especially dependencies of dependencies, it could go down a lot of jars, some of which might be for technology that is not open source, so the source isn't available. So Google isn't that stupid to make it impossible, otherwise no one would use GWT at all because of that reason.

It must be a mistake in the tutorial that you are reading. Because I also see this statement later

In case your module has dependencies itself, like if you have services that might need JDOM or ROME, then be sure to add those JAR files as dependencies in your project in your favorite IDE. Just remember that all dependencies must be resolved when the GWT compiler goes to generate the JS for your project. And the inherits tag is used to let the GWT compiler know which Java source files to turn into JS.

No where in that paragraph does it say that the jar for JDOM or ROME requires their source code. I would stop the quest for that source code and just use the regular jars.

Mark

jo das
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Mark,

right you were! my problem was using the hosted mode that comes with gwt, it wasn't picking up jars in the web-inf/lib directory i'd created no matter which way i tried, and searching generated error messages was my red herring that sent me chasing source files. so i packaged up the war and deployed it on a seperate tomcat instance, and the classes were all found

thanks for your help and for anyone else doing a gwt server config, i'd recommend avoiding the hosted mode as the directories are too obscure to configure

cheers,

jo

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Very cool. It returned my faith that Google has smart people. I am still afraid of Google becoming the next Monopoly though.

Mark

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic