• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Seam and JavaRanch

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Dan,

I've been working with Seam since 6 month or so, and read a couple of books in between. I can clearly say that SIA is by far the best book on the market (at least the best among those I'm aware of). You manage to find the balance between providing enough information to interesting topics, but not loosing the general direction in long side excursions. Really good work.

Two things I have to say

- I tried to work with the examples, but without success so far. I will continue where I stopped the other day, and I'm sure that I'll succeed finally. But my impression was that the information on how to work with what (concerning the examples) is unnecessarily spread out over a couple of documents (the book, various readme.txt, the build file itself and more), making it not as easy at it could be for the reader.

- although i honor the approach to provide a consistent example domain throughout the book, you should know that 'golf' is a pretty uncommon sport in central europe. but we all try to twist our heads around tee-sets, clubs and caddies. ;-)

dont't take the last point too serious.

coming back to the subject of my posting:

I liked (and used) javaranch very much when i got java-certified. but later on i pretty much gave up the forum, one of the reasons is that i'm unable to find forum threads where 'interesing' subjects are manifesting. seam is a good example, JEE development and spring are others.

i ran a full text search against the starting page where the forum topics are listed, did not find "seam" and ended up with some trivial postings under "JBoss".one thing i would recommend is to open an own seam forum. another thing to refactor the strucure of the splash page. add at least "seam" in the description of this forum...

(relativly) simple gadgets like activity-meters or tag clouds could draw the visitors attention in the right direction... and if some forums would be merged to work out a more JEE orientated structure (among other aspects, of course), we all would win.

just my two cents,

best wishes from Berlin, Germany,
Jan
[ October 08, 2008: Message edited by: Jan Groth ]

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I tried to work with the examples, but without success so far. I will continue where I stopped the other day, and I'm sure that I'll succeed finally. But my impression was that the information on how to work with what (concerning the examples) is unnecessarily spread out over a couple of documents (the book, various readme.txt, the build file itself and more), making it not as easy at it could be for the reader.

You're in luck. I've been working to get the number of steps (and the chances of failure) down to a minimum. I'm a big believer in automated scripts that give you everything you need at the touch of a button (at least to get started). To give you a preview, you would run:

Here is what that does:

• Download and extract Seam
  • Download and extract JBoss AS
  • Build the Open 18 database
  • Give you an option of which stage you want to "inflate"
  • Deploy that stage to JBoss AS

• It really should be straightforward to get started. Follow this forum thread for more information on the latest download (it has a tip about updating to the latest build file).

I also updated the GettingStarted wiki page and made things a bit more brief.

Dan Allen
    Author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

I've been working with Seam since 6 month or so, and read a couple of books in between. I can clearly say that SIA is by far the best book on the market (at least the best among those I'm aware of). You manage to find the balance between providing enough information to interesting topics, but not loosing the general direction in long side excursions. Really good work.

Thank you for appreciating my work. I am thrilled that you have found it useful. If I could ask a favor, would you be willing to post this comment as a review on Amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com? Amazon requires that you have an account where you have purchased an item whereas Barnes and Noble does not have this requirement.

Dan Allen
    Author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

i ran a full text search against the starting page where the forum topics are listed, did not find "seam" and ended up with some trivial postings under "JBoss".one thing i would recommend is to open an own seam forum. another thing to refactor the strucure of the splash page. add at least "seam" in the description of this forum...

Not to draw a crowd away from JavaRanch, but your very best bet for Seam information is seamframework.org . The forums are flooded with good (and some bad) information, but either way, lots of chatter. The Seam developers are regulars and try to chime in on at least every post once.
    [ October 08, 2008: Message edited by: Dan Allen ]

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic