• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Originally a question about JPanel 'contains'; later a warning it may be broken.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am having trouble understanding what 'contains' means.

Using debug, I have verified that free1, a JPanel, lies in rectangle 100, 400, 100, 100 for x, y, width, height, respectively.
Point p1 is 101, 401 for x, y resp., and point p2 is 101, 499 for ditto. According to my understanding, both points lie
within the rectangle of the JPanel. Yet, given the statement: if (free1.contains(p1) && free2.contains(p2) ...
both parts of the statement return false, as shown by inspect. Please, what is going on? According to my understanding,
the points diagonally one in from each corner would be: ne 101, 401, se 101, 499, nw 199, 401, sw 199, 499. if not
correct, What points would be diagonally one in from each corner? Why is 'contains' returning false? Under what circumstances
would it return true? Will I need to replace it with something which reflects my understanding that if a point lies wholly
within the bounds, it is 'contained'.

Aha! before sending this, I tried replacing free1 in the statement with a rectangle obtained by getBounds. That seems to
work. So I am left with the idea that 'contains' is broken insofar as JComponent is concerned. Nice that there is a
workaround. I am sending this as a warning to the unwary. But an answer might also inform me of an error on my part
for which I am always happy to acknowledge and grateful to receive.

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Read the API for JComponent#contains(...) and Component#contains(...).

... where x and y are defined to be relative to the coordinate system of this component.

The top-left of the component is [0, 0].

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It's not broken, it just doesn't do what you think it does. contains() works in a coordinate system relative to the component. What you think of as (101, 401) is (1, 1) relative to the component, so see what contains(1, 1) returns.

Daniel B. Davis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank both of you for replies. I now do understand it. Since I was doing absolute layout and dispensing with the layout manager, I made an incorrect assumption about Component. But Rectangle has no self-imposed coordinate system, so it behaved as I expected. Thanks.

Darryl Burke
Bartender
Netbeans IDE Opera Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Daniel B. Davis wrote:... I was doing absolute layout and dispensing with the layout manager, ...

That's usually a bad idea, and it's usually much better to learn and use layout managers.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic