• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Presenting for geeks: presenting without slides

Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does the book cover how to present without using slides?
Slides can always be used as a safety net, something you can point at when you are uncertain.
What about presenting without supporting material?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, the book doesn't cover presenting without slides - assuming that you're thinking of the usual slide full of bullet points.

The idea it's promoting is to use more visual slides, that highlight the main point and possibly use an image (photo, visualisation, whatever's appropriate in the context) to support what the speaker is talking about.

So in that sense, these sorts of slides can't really be used as a "safety net" either. They're an outline of your talk and a backdrop, but the actual content is the spoken word.

But whether you go with visual slides or no slides at all - you'll have to really think through what your talk is about and what your main message is. If you do that, and rehearse a few times, you'll find that you can easily present without having to look at your notes. You won't say the exact same thing every time, of course, but the content will be the same.

Does that help?

"Presenting for Geeks" covers the above for the use with slides as described. If you really intend to present without any slides, you may want to look for other books. "The Naked Presenter" by Garr Reynolds would be a start.

Jan Cumps
Bartender
Netbeans IDE C++ Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dirk Haun wrote:...
Does that help?...

Sure does.

On Amazon, your book is cataloged under Computer and Technology. Is that the audience you're aiming for, or is the content independent of the branch?

Dirk Haun
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The majority of the content is not specific to techies or geeks but teaches a "better" approach to preparing and giving a presentation that is applicable to other fields as well. As the title suggests, it was written with the technology/computer audience in mind, so there's the occasional geek reference and a few topics are specific to that audience, e.g. tips on how to present code.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dirk Haun wrote:If you really intend to present without any slides, you may want to look for other books. "The Naked Presenter" by Garr Reynolds would be a start.

Dirk,
I don't know if you're familiar with the book "Back of the Napkin" by Dan Roam, but it's has another take on presenting without slides. The main idea is that sketching simple pictures during a presentation (or problem solving meeting) can help people clarify their understanding of problems and see possible solutions better.

Whether on a napkin or whiteboard, most geeks I know are pretty comfortable sketching system architectures, screen shots, flowcharts, etc. to help someone else understand problems or potential solutions. This book presents ways to organize your thinking and understand what kind of drawings tend to work best in different situations.

Burk

Dirk Haun
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Burk Hufnagel wrote:Whether on a napkin or whiteboard, most geeks I know are pretty comfortable sketching system architectures, screen shots, flowcharts, etc. to help someone else understand problems or potential solutions.

Yes, and this is way better than presenting it on a slide since you can show how things develop, which helps with the understanding. Don't fret that it may look "messy" or not as pretty as a picture on a slide.

Burk Hufnagel wrote:I don't know if you're familiar with the book "Back of the Napkin" by Dan Roam, but it's has another take on presenting without slides.

I read that book, but it was quite some time ago and I wasn't too impressed. Thanks, I guess I should take another look.

Burk Hufnagel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Dirk Haun wrote:Yes, and this is way better than presenting it on a slide since you can show how things develop, which helps with the understanding. Don't fret that it may look "messy" or not as pretty as a picture on a slide.

You can also build the picture as you talk about it to make complicated or complex diagrams more understandable. This is also a great way to do a presentation for just one or two people, when a slide deck would be too formal.

Burk

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic