• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Netty Server communicating with android client - chat app

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hey guys!

Quick question. I'm in the process of developing a java server/android client app. The server is nearly complete...it works using a thread-per-client approach. However this will not scale very well when dealing with many clients connecting at once. This lead me to research some server-side solutions. I came across Netty, as it seems to be what I'm looking for as far as the scalability issue is concerned. Before I get too far into finishing the server I'd like to get the core down and not have to go back later to re-design it after the fact.

Netty used to not be compatible with Android, but apparently since 3.3(ish) it has been. It is now at 4.0, however I couldn't really find any resources for learning how to implement it for an android client/ java server combo. Does anyone here have any experience in this area? If not, are there any resources that are out there which could help me to better understand and use Netty for this purpose?

Thanks for your time!

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you plan to use Google App Engine you can evaluate Google Cloud Endpoints (admittedly this is a "preview release")
Else how about plain old servlets with JSON?

Kody Wright
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had no idea about the Google App engine/Endpoints...that's really cool stuff. Perhaps I should approach the design from the android side first then figure exactly what the server needs to do.

Just FYI, I have a very rudimentary java client that I'm using to communicate/test the server with, so I have a rough idea of what the android app needs to do. When you talk about the plain servlets/JSON, would this get rid of the thread-per-connection issue? The system I'm developing will be responsible for maintaining mass connections (hundreds per server) in the same chat session.

So far it seems that the only way to avoid this is to either have the chat read/write into an SQL database (which seems like it would be ineffecient and slow) or implement some java NIO server functions (which apparently don't work well with the Android API).

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kody Wright wrote:The system I'm developing will be responsible for maintaining mass connections (hundreds per server) in the same chat session.

That somehow doesn't sound right. 100s of connections per chat client? Maybe if you tell us what you are trying to do here, we can offer some suggestions.

Kody Wright
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Maneesh Godbole wrote:

Kody Wright wrote:The system I'm developing will be responsible for maintaining mass connections (hundreds per server) in the same chat session.

That somehow doesn't sound right. 100s of connections per chat client? Maybe if you tell us what you are trying to do here, we can offer some suggestions.

Sure thing.

The overall idea is to develop a chat system where many users (say a hundred or so) are interacting in the same chat session simultaneously. So it would be like a group chat, just bigger.

I know that similar systems already exist, just perhaps not for a mobile environment...which is what I would like to do. This is why an efficient server is so important. It's not 100s of connections per client, but a hundred or so clients being connected to one chat box (server).

Maneesh Godbole
Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ah! Now I understand.
100s/1000s might have logged in to the group chat, but how many are posting at the same time? Hardly a few.
You will just need to notify all other 999 clients that client 1 said "Howdy" Check out Google cloud messaging

Kody Wright
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's exactly what I needed, you've really helped me out. Thanks a lot!

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic