• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Learning Intermediate Java

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, I just finished my AP java class and I want to expand my knowledge of java beyond that of my high school class. Where can I go to learn more beyond the basics?

Also, I'm not taking any more java classes until I transfer to another college two years from now, so I was wondering what I can do to refresh on java two years from now?

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Zachary Karamanlis wrote:Hi, I just finished my AP java class and I want to expand my knowledge of java beyond that of my high school class. Where can I go to learn more beyond the basics?

Do you have this book? If not, get it, and give it a read. It is, bar none, the best "why to" book I've ever read - about any language. It's also arranged in topics, so you don't have to read it cover-to-cover.

As for "exercises", my advice would be to think of a project that interests you, and give it a crack. Try not to take on too much, but you might want to add a few wrinkles such as web pages or database access that'll help you to work out how things link together. Alternatively, there's Project Euler - although the problems are mathematically oriented (they get gradually more difficult as you go through) - or our very own Cattle Drive.

HIH

Winston

Zachary Karamanlis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm trying to not buy anything until my part time job starts. Once that does I think i'll buy it, but do you know of any free alternatives?

About "exercises", what really interests me is programming games, but before I start making games in java I want to make sure I have a strong understanding of the language(plus, I don't know how to make GUI's yet). Do you know where I can find some general exercises, or any projects I can get involved in?

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We have our own Cattle Drive. The exercises are posted for anyone to attempt. If you want an official staff nit-picker, there is a small fee.

You can also check out various open source projects. I'm sure there are hundreds of them out there.

Zachary Karamanlis
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Okay, I think i'll try those, however the main thing I am looking for is something to explain more advanced subjects and techniques. All I have found so far is introductory courses.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic