• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

html to pdf convesiion

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I have used jquery -jqplot to plot few line chats as per requirments, now these plots are to be saved in form of pdf which would be viewed as report.
The problem is that jqplot has only the feature to save the charts/plots as image which is not useful at this point.

Through search i found bullzip,pdf4ml,itext ,yahpconverter,icpdf are some of freewares used for html to pdf converstion. however i am not sure which is freeware and which api would be helpful for this kind of problem as here i need to save the entire web page.

could some one please guide me to the right path for implementing the nire web page to be saved as pdf docuement...?

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
try iText since it's fairly simple to use and learn. You should able to find examples by Googling a bit.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you can make the HTML into CSS-styled XHTML; then http://code.google.com/p/flying-saucer/ is for you.

raj chopra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Hi Tsang,

Thanks for reply, for more clarity, the page to be converted into pdf is in jsp, i am going through few of the sample codes in itex, my query is that is it possible for the itex to render graphs or charts from a jsp page rather than normal java code?

as the pdf is only useful when the graphs are rendered using jquery .

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think iText would (or could) recreate anything created via JavaScript. For what purpose is this PDF? If people are interested in saving web pages as PDFs, they could always install a PDF printer driver (like PDF24 on Windows; OS X has one built in; not sure about Linux).

Also, do you want to do this on the server, or on the client?

raj chopra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi ulf dittmer,

Thanks for reply,

The page i want to convert to pdf contains barcharts,line charts, and some csv data ( which is viewed as table in front end) . To be more specific this is kind of report generated page which displays pictorial data in web browser.The purpose is that the charts displayed need to be saved as pdf some what similar like jasper soft. This is a typical web application.

I think saving entire web page as pdf would be very useful and server we use are windows, server side or client side both are welcomed .

Also i need to use only freeware please let me know how can i proceed.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What I would do is to add CSS for print media that hides the navigation and other page decoration, and leaves only the data portion of the page to be printed. If the user wants to capture it as a PDF, they can use the browser Print capability, and capture it as a PDF as Ulf has already suggested.

The end user must install the appropriate print driver on their client machine. You cannot do it for them. (I find it appalling that Windows does not have this native capability; it's been available in OS X since the start, and is something I use every single day.)

If that's not good enough, then you'll likely have to find a way to generate the chart on the server rather than the client, and create the PDF there. Personally, I would not take this approach.

K. Tsang
Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Given you you mentioned, why not generate that page as a report format using Jasper Report.

Also for graphs and stuff, JFreeCharts is open source project for this kind of stuff. But I'm not sure if PDF can be generated.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic