• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java or DotNet

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi every one i need help actually i am java developer mostly worked in desktop application and i am getting job as Desktop Developer with handsome salary package Problem is that the job they offers me in DotNet
now i have zero knowledge of DotNet . I told them so they just took Programming Interview from me oop concepts and all . Now i am confuse is it ok okay to switch from Java to DotnET? IT MY INITIAL LEVEL so should i wait for or just start join job? i spent two years in Java i love java .Kindly tell me i am confused:(

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What's wrong with .NET? If they are willing to pay you to gain .NET experience, that sounds like a good thing to me.

Try not to think of yourself as a "Java" developer. You are a software developer who happens to only have experience in Java at the moment.

Nadia Ahmed
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The only things bothers me is i never work in DotNet and secondly i am proficient in Java but yeh every one is saying to me i should not be language dependent . Thankssssssssssssssssssssss Jeanne Boyarsky

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Being proficient in Java or any other language and pick up a new language is not a hard thing. All languages has the fundamentals (syntax, concepts, API) but looking at other people's code and test drive a bit will get you up to speed.

The only problem is once you work on a long project with a single language, you may tend forget how to do the same in another.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

K. Tsang wrote:Being proficient in Java or any other language and pick up a new language is not a hard thing.

I agree with this. If C#, then it wont be much of a hard work to get used with it except some language specific things. But if its VB, then a little more work has to be done from your end. I guess it should be C# only.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic