• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I need to be clear about the join-method in the Thread-class.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My teacher wrote this comment below and it confuses me: "//This blocks the execution of the current (main) thread from proceeding until the thread has completed." So does that mean that the t2.join()-method is not invoked until the first thread has died?
Are the threads running simultaneously or not? What exactly is happening here? Thanks for your time.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Threads run (at least virtually) in a parallel way.
However if a thread needs to wait until the another runs to completion, Thread.join can be issued.
This call will block the calling thread until the other one (the one to be joined to) finishes.

Is it not described in the API docs?

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sven Sylta wrote:So does that mean that the t2.join()-method is not invoked until the first thread has died?

Yes, that is what it means.

Sven Sylta wrote:Are the threads running simultaneously or not? What exactly is happening here? Thanks for your time.

Yes, threads are running simultaneously. What happens in your code: Two new threads are created and started, and then the main thread first waits for the first one to finish (line 13), and then for the second one to finish (line 14).

join() will return immediately if the thread on which it is called has already finished. So, suppose that the main thread is waiting for t1 to finish in line 13 and in the mean time t2 finishes, then when the main thread reaches line 14 to wait for the second thread, line 14 will immediately return.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sven Sylta wrote:Are the threads running simultaneously or not? What exactly is happening here?

I think the others have covered most of it, but the reason for having join() is that sometimes programs only need some of their logic to be multi-threaded, and join() provides a "sync-point" so the master thread knows that everything that it launched in parallel has completed; at which point it might then be able to launch into another multi-threaded phase...

Winston

BTW: Please DontWriteLongLines. It makes your post very hard to read. I've broken yours up this time, but for future reference:
80 characters max/line.
and that inludes String literals AND comments. Thanks.

You firghten me terribly. I would like to go home now. Here, take this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic