• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Should I switch job to go near hometown or continue?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I currently work in one of the top IT companies of India. I am ok with my salary and more interested in updating my skills rather than just seeking more and more money.Few days back my manager informally told me that since right now there is less work here why dont you use this time to search job outside. I have total 5 years experience now and last 2 years I have spent here. These days I had developed a view that for anyone it would be good to spend long time in current company rather than switching if all goes well and you are happy. I am have been happy here in past 2 years. Now because of what manager told I am in undecisiveness should I continue here or should I seek job outside. But there should be a big enough reason to seek job outside I feel not just money. I am just starting to analyse what are pros and cons of seeking job outside. I am not just motivated by the desire of earning more and more money and switching job for this. Rather I am more interested in updating my technical skills. What can be only advantage for me to search job outside is that I can search job in a city near my hometown. I currently live far from hometown and cannot visit often. Is this reason good enough?

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Seeking new opportunities within the company is a good idea whether same department/team or different. If your company can't offer much then looking else where is obvious. Another option is to transfer to another town for the SAME company.

Before you make your final decision, you should ask around.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Switching jobs too often can be risky, as employers wonder why you keep moving around. But 2 years is a reasonable length of time to stay in one job, so that should not be a problem here. You might want to think about why your manager is suggesting you look for work elsewhere. Do they know something you don't e.g. that there isn't going to be much work (or even a job?) for you in your current workplace in future?

On a more positive note, I think moving to a new company can be an excellent way to improve your technical skills. You will learn about new business areas, different technology, different ways of using that technology, and most importantly you will have the opportunity to learn from new colleagues in a different environment. You are still in the early part of your career, and it's a good thing to broaden your experience where you can, because this industry changes very quickly, and having experience of different environments etc can help you to adjust to future changes.

Finally, you should also think about the features of what defines a "good job" for you: good learning opportunities, interesting technologies/business applications, nice colleagues, close to home etc. Do some research to find out what your skills are worth on the market, and think about what kind of trades you might make to get your "ideal" job e.g. less money for good opportunities to develop your skills near home. Only you can decide which option is best for you.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Agree that being close to friends and family is (usually) a good point about a job.

But we cannot tell you whether to take a job or not. We can suggest things, but not advise or instruct you. You will have to make up your own mind.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Satyaprakash,

You have posted couple of times in this forum about your job issue, and I want to give you some general advise. First of all just want to say that this is coming from a place of love for all developers, and if something sounds harsh, please remember that I don't mean to be harsh.

If you want to grow in this career you have to be flexible. If you are going to be choosy about technologies, and going to be choosy about where you want to work, you might find that you have chosen yourself out of all jobs. In your other post, you said you didn't want to work in Hadoop. In this post it seems like you are expressing a preference for a location. Well, it maybe that the kind of job that you are looking for is not available in your hometown, and you might have to compromise.

Or you might get very lucky and find this perfect job in the perfect location and then spend the next 5 years figuring out how to stay in this one job. In the meantime technologies will change, the marketplace will change,t he company will change, and you may find yourself to be a relic. I think its good that you are not concerned about salary. That opens up options for you. It's good that you want to learn technology. That opens up options for you.

I would suggest that you don't use micro criteria like location and technology and salary. Rather, take the long view. Think of what and where you want to be in 5 years and find a job that gives you the most opportunity to get you there. Sure, one f your criteria might be living close to family, wh his a good criteria to have, but if you keep in mind that you have 5 years to achieve your goals, it will help you balance one against the other.

Satyaprakash Joshii
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
chris webster says

You might want to think about why your manager is suggesting you look for work elsewhere. Do they know something you don't e.g. that there isn't going to be much work (or even a job?) for you in your current workplace in future?

The reason is that management is not sure about the projects they would be receiving on Big Data technology. In big data technology people are paid very good hikes on switching company but money is not my top priority.But now I may have to rethink.

Satyaprakash Joshii
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Another option is to transfer to another town for the SAME company.

For this should a requirement exist there for the same technology or even the technology can be changed to accommodate this transfer and it is only about continuing to work for the same company in whichever technology.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic