• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

coding questions for entry level java developers

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi guys
i pass my phone interview and they would like to see me for an entry level code java interview. i was wondering what type of questions would i expect? if one of you guys were or are in a position to hire what code questions should i prepare for? i heard that loops and the fizzbuzz problem are very popular. suggestions are welcome.
Thanks

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For an entry level position it won't be anything too elaborate I wouldn't say. At this point in your career potential employers are mostly interested in whether they think you'll fit into their team and company culture and whether you're obviously enthusiastic and passionate about what you do. If it's a technical interview then obviously there'll be some technical content to it, but this may not mean coding. It could be general logic problem solving.

You will also most likely get the standard set of nonsense HR type questions. Just Google for "HR interview questions" and you'll know exactly what I mean by that. I hate them, but they are a necessary evil when interviewing. Prepare your answers for those questions in advance so you don't have to think about it too much on the day.

Andrew Concilio
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
tim let me give you the picture
after 10 years working in finance/banking i am switching careers. i worked for this company 7 years ago now i applied for an entry level java developer i passed the phone interview,i the manager said that besides the usual hr people i will be given a code problem. this is the part that is stressing me out because i am trying to get an idea how to prepare so any ideas will be help full
Thanks

Tim Cooke
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I take it the Java job is still in the finance/banking domain? If so I would predict that they may want to see if you know about lossy conversions between Java's numeric types. Such as double to int (3.243 double becomes 3 int) for example. You might even get brownie points for reading up on the Money Pattern.

Whatever code challenge they throw at you I would recommend that you do your best to keep your code clean, keep it readable, use meaningful names for your variables and methods, and keep it simple.

Andrew Concilio
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for the input

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies