• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Pure javadatabase: performance?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Has anyone used Pure javadatabase? if so hows the performance. does it query the db fast. what is the future of pure jdb?

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've used HSQLDB as an embedded in-memory database and it worked perfectly. As a replacement for your typical Oracle/MySQL/PostgreSQL/DB2 installation, I wouldn't go for a Java-based database quite yet. If for no other reason than for the tool support that the mainstream products have for administration.

Bartender
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Oracle Spring VI Editor Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Furture of JDB - There's talk about a 'Derby' project from Apache Software. This will use the Cloudscape technologies that IBM are offering. I do recall that Cloudscape was once part of the J2EE package provided by Sun.

Details are here: The Apache Derby Project

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Lasse Koskela:
I've used HSQLDB as an embedded in-memory database and it worked perfectly.

Hi Lasse,

I have never used an in-memory database in production. Would you mind sharing the problem that you/your team were solving using the in-memory database? What was the amount data that you were looking at?
I assume that performance was a big factor and thats why you had to use an in-memory database? What w'd happen at the end of the session? does it have options to persist the data somewhere?

Lasse Koskela
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Karthik Guru:
I have never used an in-memory database in production. Would you mind sharing the problem that you/your team were solving using the in-memory database? What was the amount data that you were looking at?
I assume that performance was a big factor and thats why you had to use an in-memory database? What w'd happen at the end of the session? does it have options to persist the data somewhere?

Actually, it wasn't a production application but a test harness that used the in-memory database. I started it up before executing test cases, each test case initialized the database in a known state using DbUnit, and after all tests were run, I shut down the in-memory database.

HSQLDB does have two other modes as well, "standalone" and "server" if I remember correctly. The standalone mode means that you've got a private database engine running on top of a local database file. The server mode is what people usually use databases like Oracle/MySQL/PostgreSQL/DB2 for, i.e. serving possibly multiple applications.

Karthik Guru
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks lasse. that was informative.

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Some of the things that I find embedded pure-Java DBs useful are:

- For unit/functional tests with something like DBUnit: It makes it easier to create an in-memory DB out of XML for simple before and after tests

- For transient data that you wish to manipule/query using SQL. Sometimes even state of some kind can be better used via SQL (like a shopping cart)

- For applications (rich fat client) in which the user's database is replica of a portion of your main (enterprise database) and the application needs the ability to work disconnected

I've read about this kind of thing at the checkout counter. That's where I met this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic