• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

On java Coding guidelines: What does program reliability entail?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi dear authors,

Everyone seems to be discussing security and I am seeing some terms that I probably have not come across in my java career.
However, I would like to know what reliability is. Does it have to do with how robust a say web application is in how it handles multiple requests without failing to serve jsp
pages?
Does it have to do with how many times a recursive function can call itself without the program running out of memory?
Please brief me on this guys. Thank you.

Author
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Charlsy,

I would like to know what reliability is.

Reliability deals with the expectation from a system to operate according to its functional specification under some stated conditions for a specified time duration. Sometimes it is also referred to as the probability that software will not cause the system to fail under stated conditions for a specified time duration. The introduction to the "Reliability" chapter in our JCG book elaborates the software reliability aspect.

For a Java based web application, reliability could entail ensuring that webpages are served despite underlying coding bugs, runtime errors and most importantly issues caused by a deficient design / architecture. The first step towards meeting reliability requirements is to follow a coding standard and avoid writing sloppy code. The next step is to follow the principle of least astonishment - do not produce code that is complex, ambiguous, inconsistent or unpredictable. Code must also be written to avoid / address known failure scenarios in a fail-safe manner.

Does it have to do with how robust a say web application is in how it handles multiple requests without failing to serve jsp
pages?

For a web server, handling multiple requests without failing falls under "availability" (part of the security - CIA triad) as well as "reliability". An application server that runs without errors for X amount of time may be considered reliable. Also, note that reliable code will promote availability but a highly available system may not imply that the constituting code is reliable.

Does it have to do with how many times a recursive function can call itself without the program running out of memory?

A program that always runs out of memory because of recursion falls under "security" (denial of service). A program that occasionally runs out of memory (say every other hour) because of memory leaks or faulty concurrency is certainly not "reliable".

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic