• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

is Jsp,Jstl ,EL are Deprecated ?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
i m really confused about jsp and jsf .is jsp still in use.are jstl and EL used with JSF . please some one explain me current technologies used.

Sorry to ask such stupid question ,i m newbie to technology and confused where to start java ee. should i learn jsp jstl and el or directly jump over the JSF.

Thanks

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JSP is alive and well. JSF is just one possible framework among all the others which not everyone uses. There's really nothing to be confused about.

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
EL is definitely still used in JSF. JSTL not so much, but it has uses occasionally. JSP integration with JSF is a bit problematic, mostly because of JSF's lifecycle, so JSF developers tend to use Facelets. On the other hand, many people dislike JSF/Facelets and prefer to build richer clients using JSP with a lot of JavaScript /jQuery. There's really no single right answer.

Bear Bibeault
Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Greg Charles wrote:On the other hand, many people dislike JSF/Facelets ...

In my experience the penetration of JSF is small, and getting smaller. Two of my recent jobs were to replace JSF monstrosities with something that gets the same job done with much simpler and easier to understand code.

and prefer to build richer clients using JSP with a lot of JavaScript /jQuery. There's really no single right answer.

I'd go even further than that. I see a lot of shops moving to using RESTful APIs and eschewing server-side templating completely, choosing to do it all in the browser with JavaScript MVC frameworks.

Greg Charles
Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
And yet JavaEE has incorporated JSF/Facelets now, so there still is a certain penetration. It's not that I'm in love with the framework, I just haven't had firsthand experience with anything that works better or easier, and all my job offers are to create more of the "monstrosities". I have Bear's books though and I keep studying them, so I won't be left behind when the shift comes.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic