• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Logging best approach

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a Question
Whats the best approach for implementing the logging?

I mean i want to provide a framework so that user can configure the Logging to be used...like log4j /or can custom logger that user already have...

What is the based way to do that?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I don't know if there is such a thing as a best way because every situation tends to be different. However I started using log4j is problems, but have switched to Jakarta Commons Logging because it self configures to the environment it it running in. For example, I have some libraries which are designed to be generic to several projects. Internally I use Commons Logging on them so that I can develope and test them without requiring log4j. However when I an running a project which uses then and has log4 as well, the Commons logging automatically detects this and uses log4j instead.

I find this lets me develop things in smaller units without extra dependancies on projects I may not wish to include.

ciao
Derek.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic