• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

I want to learn J2EE in the shortest time possible

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have good knowledge of C, and a good knowledge of core Java. Please list out the areas I need to cover for J2EE. There are many technology available in j2ee.. Please tel me which technology is using uptodate.. I have premium account in lynda, vtc, and pluralaight.. There many courses are listed in j2ee..
Jsp and servlets,
struts2,
spring
Spring mvc
Spring aop and aspectj
Hibernate
Mastering Java swing
Maven fundamentals
Play2 for java
Restful service in java using jersey
Spring with jpa and hibernate

Please help me friends where to start and finish the j2ee technologies.. This is very important for my career.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

suresh krishan wrote:Please help me friends where to start and finish the j2ee technologies.. This is very important for my career.

Well, if it's JEE you want (I think they've dropped the '2' now), my suggestion would be to start off with that.

1. Get a decent book on the subject. There are several listed here, and personally, I'd stick to ones that specifically have JEE or J2EE in the title, rather than other specific monikers like Ajax and Struts and Hibernate.
2. Set up your environment with, at the very least, a Tomcat server (or possibly even an EJB server like JBoss or Glassfish), and a database.
3. If you can, set up another machine that you can use as a 'client', so that you can properly test your projects in a networked environment; because that is where JEE is mostly used. An alternative is to get something like vBox and set up a 2nd virtual machine on the same box, although it may require a bit more "plumbing".
4. Remember: this stuff doesn't come easy.

HIH

Winston

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Suresh,

I would also add the following to your list:

*JMS - messaging
*EJBs - enterprise java beans
*Junit - for unit testing
*JSF - component based framework for web apps
*ANT - some projects still use it, predecessor to Maven

I would start with the Web technologies (JSPs/Servlets), and continue with a web framework (Struts / Spring MVC).
I found books and online tutorials to be good sources for learning.

If your prefer video learning then Lynda & youtube are good sources. I recommend Java Brains : http://javabrains.koushik.org/p/contents.html

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You need to be realistic about your goals. JEE is a huge subject, which will take a long time to master fully. Few experienced people I know have touched on all of it. If you're looking to put "JEE" on your resume then "shortest time possible" will be measured in years, not months. Also note that Struts, Hibernate, Spring, Play, AspectJ, Maven and Swing are not part of JEE (and if you're targeting server-side Java then you don't need to become familiar with Swing).

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Enterprise Java is a huge subject and there are a myriad of technologies surrounding it. Getting to know all of them and efficiently working with them takes years of experience. Take one step at a time. If you ask me, I would advice you to start with JMS, Struts and Spring.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I would advice you to start with JMS, Struts and Spring.

In my experience JMS is not nearly as widely used as a lot of the other parts of JEE, so that I would put that pretty far down on the list. Struts 1 is dead, and Struts 2 is not widely used, so I would probably leave that out altogether.

suresh krishan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for the reply friends... i want one more help.. i have started learning jsp and servlets from yesterday... actually i m looking for a job in java EE.. in my local area where i m living companies are hiring in j2ee only.. here i tell you some requirements what are all looking in some companies.. please read those things and guide me what i have to study...

1. Desired Skills :
# Experience in JAVA (J2SE, J2EE)
# A sound understanding of relational databases and SQL
# Experience in Microsoft SQL Server (2005 / 2008)

2. Desired Skills for JAVA :
# Good Aptitude and Logical Reasoning
# Core and Advanced Java is Mandatory
# Added advantage if Associate has Struts/Spring/hibernate knowledge
# Added advantage if Associate has basic Database knowledge
# Experience at least one Year in development Project
# Added advantage if Associate has unit testing knowledge

3. # TECHNOLOGY: JAVA, J2EE, STRUTS, HIBERNATE.

4. # Knowledge on any of the Framework & Database development

5.Skills required are as below :
1. Core Java
2. OOPS
3. Servlet
4. Spring
5. JPA
6. Hibernate

6.# Java/J2EE Development experience
# Programming in Java, JSP
# Good understanding of software / product development processes.

7.# Urgent Hiring for Lead position !!! We are looking for candidates who can join immediately and ideal candidate should have experience working on Java/j2ee, Spring, Hibernate / JSF.

8.Essential Skills :
1. Core Java - Mandatory skills.
2. Hibernate - Mandatory skills.
3. Spring - Mandatory skills.
4. Oracle 11.2 database SQL/PLSQL - Mandatory skills.
5. J-query - good to have skills.
6. Web-service- Mandatory skills.
7. Good communication skills is must.
8. Knowledge in Coldfusion will be added advantage.

9. Mandatory Skills :
# Must have experience in JAVA/J2EE.
# Must have experience in any of the framework - Swings/Spring/Hibernate/Struts.
# Should have experience in OOPS Programming.
# Preferred to have candidates with experience in Network Management Systems.

above the numbers i mentioned for each companies hiring different technologies.. i dont know what to study im scared about my career.. i want to become a evil coder but before that i want to get a good job.. please guide me friends.. what i have to study now.. please tell me these things also..

web service means? what to study for that?
frameworks means? what are they? what for using?
what database should i study?
and please go through the companies hiring skils and tell me what i have to study for that.. i started study jsp and servlets, is that worth reading now to get job in my area???
please help

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

suresh krishan wrote:web service means? what to study for that?
frameworks means? what are they? what for using?
what database should i study?
and please go through the companies hiring skils and tell me what i have to study for that.. i started study jsp and servlets, is that worth reading now to get job in my area???
please help

I would suggest that another important skill for the area of employment you're looking for is to be able to find information on the web. Time is of the essence nowadays -- is it better to spend 5 minutes searching the web or is it better to post on a forum and wait a few hours in the hope that somebody might give you an answer? You could start sharpening those skills by looking for answers for those questions. If you like, post the answers you come up with and we can critique them.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For JEE just get Oracle's JEE tutorial and read it from the start. It's freely available online.
All the time you are spending talking about what you want to learn is better spent actually learning the stuff.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Suresh, when company starts to hire a person, he tried his best to find a person which holds all knowledge. So don't worry too much what company is looking. If you are comfortable with the java platform and supporting technology. You should be able to get the job. As you are not experience guy so I don't think that company will expect too much from you. Below technology will be helpful to get the job on J2EE side.
1. Good aptitue, logical reasoning and good communication
2. Core java with OOPS concept, exception, Collection (Multithreading and Generics are not mandatory)
3. Jsp and Servlet
4. Any database with good knowledge (Personally I think, MySql is very easy. Again procedure, triggers, cursor are optional)
5. Basic knowledge of HTML, CSS, Any java editor is required
6. Struts 1 is quite easy and sufficient to get the job.

Now EJB, JMS, WebService, Spring, Hibernate etc. are very rare where a company expect from a fresher and personally I don't think that you need to worry for those technology too much.

suresh krishan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Im not a fresher brother.. I have 3 years of experience in core java.. Now i want to switch ma carrier into android or java EE.. So please guide me what are the technologies should i learn for java EE

Gourav Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
ohhhh...my bad. If you are not fresher still technology doesn't matter too much, only knowledge matters. Whatever technology you know, you should have depth knowledge. Still you want to learn something new then JQuery, Json, Ajax, Spring, Hibernate, XML, XSD are more than enough. All these technologies are pretty much easier and you can find the examples on net. http://www.w3schools.com/ is sufficient for Jquery, Json, Ajax, xml, xsd. http://www.javatpoint.com/ is good site for spring and hibernate with good example.
I still say JMS, Webservice, EJB will decrease your confidence so leave it for now. If you join any company which works on these technology then you will learn easily in run time environment.

Gourav Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please go through this site as well for spring, maven, hibernate : http://javabrains.koushik.org/courses.html

suresh krishan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you brother.. Im learning jsp and servlets now.. But no one telling me learn this.. Should i learn this or not.. Can you please give me your IM id.. If i have doubts any i can you ask you instant..

Gourav Gupta
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You should learn jsp and servlets. These are the basic things for a 3 year guy. You can post any query on code ranch site or if you want, you can add your next question in same query. I am always here to help people.

suresh krishan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for helping.. Can you please tel in short about these thechnologies.. Please
Struts?
Spring?
Hibernate?
Swing?
Json?
I googled it but i cant get it clear..

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies