• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IE 10 JavaScript error when we use <a4j:support> tag of JSF 1.2 and rich-faces 3.2.2GA.jar.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi, my application is build using JSF 1.2 and rich-faces 3.2.2GA. When I am accessing the application on IE10,

<a4j:support>

is not able to render the UI and its throwing the below error in AJAX.js of richfaces-impl-3.2.2.GA.jar file

It says that IE10 doesn’t support XMLSerializer().
However same code works fine prior to IE 10.
I did some R&D and replaced the code as below(many places in JS file) and it started working fine for me:

Question : - IS there any way that I can extend this tag and redefine the re-render attribute which will internally refer my custom JavaScript or if somebody can tell me how it can be added in rich-faces 3.x version from the provider?

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
It is the explicitly stated policy of the RichFaces design group that they do not and never will support RichFaces 3 for IE10. Maybe IE9, too, but I don't remember.

RichFaces 4 is not upwards-compatible with RichFaces 3, in contravention of the usual Java paradigm of deprecation and soft migration. The effort that is required to migrate is roughly the same as that required to migrate a Microsoft Visual Basic 6 app to VB.Net. Meaning, not especially complex, but a lot of grunt work.

The alleged justification for this is that since there were radical changes internal to RichFaces, they didn't want to support their legacy base (although I believe that for a fee, they'll convert for you). I'm less sanguine, since the places I've seen that are going to be the most work for me could have been made to fake it, and thus I'm not very happy about this Microsoft-like behavior.

Rather than mucking around with JavaScript constructs (which is perilous at the best of times), put a META tag into your pages that instructs IE to process the page in IE8-compatible mode. It's a poor solution, but the easiest way out until you can upgrade.

In addition to moving to RichFaces 4, you'd also need to move up to JSF2. But that's less work, since the JSF team was more considerate. And after all this time, it really is time to consider moving off JSF1 anyway.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic