• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Why output of this code showing different value?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

I have one code [taking from on line SCJP exam preparation site]. Can someone explain to me this?

I have 2 question in my mind:

1) addValue() is non static method then why it is running without object inside constructor. By this rule it should show compilation error.
2) With ref variable of parent always non overridden methods of parent run then it must value of 10 [If i forgot 1st point ]

But it is giving 40. Code is as below:

Marshal
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tushar Goel wrote: . . . non static method then why it is running without object inside constructor. . . .

A constructor always runs inside an instance. You can therefore always call an instance method from inside the constructor without a compiler error.

Say subclass/superclass not parent/child.
Good design: mark any methods called from inside the constructor private or final or both, to avoid surprises if the method is overridden in subclasses. That code example does not follow such good design. You will doubtless know that exam questions often use bad design in the hope of confusing the reader, and this question appears to have succeeded in that respect

I presume you already know the sequence of events whenever an object is created: remind yourself in the Java Language Specification. You may have to scroll up and down from that link. What you have to do to solve that question is to print the code on a piece of paper (plus public Object()), and get a soft pencil and follow the sequence of events with your pencil. Whenever you get a method call, work out which version of the method (overridden or overriding) you are calling. Then you should easily be able to work out why you are getting 40.

Tushar Goel
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Thanks Campbell... I just forgot 2 basic principal:

1) calling/using non static data member and member function inside static method

2) construction inheritance using implicit super().

I know these principals but somehow i forgot this...

Anyhow i have learnt 2 things .. JLS link you shared i will definitely read it.. and 2nd your approach to pen down and try it. Thanks again...

Campbell Ritchie
Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You're welcome

They gave me pumpkin ice cream. It was not pumpkin pie ice cream. Wiping my tongue on this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic