• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

JMS and J2EE ?

Ranch Hand
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Readers

I have started studying about JMS and finding it great . I am referring to the following tutorial
http://docs.oracle.com/javaee/6/tutorial/doc/bncgl.html

Nevertheless, many questions arises in my Mind, it would be great if someone can give light to them....

1. How are JMS and J2EE related to each other ? Cannot i use JMS from simple Java Clients ? I guess Yes, but the examples in thJM e above tutorial confused me somehow...
2. Can i use Android Application as a JMS client ?
3. What is Apache Camel ? Is it related to JMS in anyways ?
4. Is Apache ActiveMQ is best as JMS Provider. i have heard of RabbitMQ as well

Thanks and Warm Regards

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
#1: JEE is a huge collection of APIs; JMS is one of them. But you can use a JMS server without using any other of the JEE APIs. A Java desktop app can certainly be a JMS client.

#2: Not sure if the JMS client libraries work on Android. I don't think I'd want to open up a JMS server to the internet at large, though - better to put a REST API in front of the JMS server, and have any apps use that REST API.

#3: The Apache Camel home page does a pretty good job of explaining what it does; JMS is one of the transports it can use.

#4: There rarely is a single "best" of anything; it's always relative to your requirements (about which we know nothing). The https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/JavaEnterpriseEditionFaq lists several popular open source JMS servers.

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE Spring VI Editor Chrome Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
4) JBoss are switching from HornetQ to JBoss AM-Q, which is based on Apache Active MQ. That at least indicates that Active MQ is good enough to use professionally.

Sangel Kapoor
Ranch Hand
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you so much for the prolific information.

#2: Not sure if the JMS client libraries work on Android. I don't think I'd want to open up a JMS server to the internet at large, though - better to put a REST API in front of the JMS server, and have any apps use that REST API.

It sounds interesting, to be very true , i have no idea about WEB services except the fact that SOAP and REST are two protocols of it.
Please let me know good resources including Books where from i can learn how to use Web services and how to make Web services for the world to use it.

Thanks and Warm Regards

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Start reading the https://coderanch.com/how-to/java/WebServicesFaq, it points to lots of introductory material.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic