• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

SOAPUI is giving the option to add WSDL but not option to add endpoint.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Case 1. I was given the wsdl of a web service I had to test. I followed steps to SOAPUI File>> New SOAP UI Project>>Ok >>Right click and add WSDL. It worked fine.

Case 2. I do not have the wsdl of webservice a I have to test. SOAPUI is giving the option to add WSDL but not option to add endpoint.How do I test this web service where to add this end point.

I know how to test in case wsdl is known but in case only endpoint is known I do not know how to test this web service. Please advice.
Thanks

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is no straight way.

Steps are
1. Open any existing SOAP UI project
2. Open any existing SOAP Operation of that project. This shall open a Request/Response window on right hand side. You can notice that current Endpoint URL on the top header of "Request/Response" window
4. Click on the drop down of this Endpoint URL and there you shall find an option to "add new end point url". Select this option.
5. Write new Endpoint URL here
6. Now , in Request section, write required Request XML for the SOAP Operation that you want to call for new End Point URL.
7. Click on "Run" button and you shall see that SOAP UI shall pass Request XML to new End point URL and shall display Response XML on right hand side.

Thanks
Abhay

Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Btw , have you tried adding " ?wsdl" at the end of your Endpoint URL to get WSDL ?

Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Disadvantage of Steps that I have mentioned before is that - you need to have/create a Request XML for the SOAP operation that you want to call with new End point URL. Here, SOAP UI shall NOT generate default Request XML automatically.

Monica Shiralkar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks.

Btw , have you tried adding " ?wsdl" at the end of your Endpoint URL to get WSDL ?

is it a general rule? I think if developer does certain customizations this will not work as it is and if developer does not do any customization it work as you wrote above.

Is this correct?

Apart from this. To cosume a web service what do we need.?

We need the WSDL

or

We need the endpoint
or

we need WSDL and endpoint

or
we need both WSDL and endpoint.

thanks

Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Apologises for deplay in reply

is it a general rule?

- Yes it is a general standard rule. For example - you can not use URL which do not ends with ?wsdl in wsimport command.

I think if developer does certain customizations this will not work as it is and if developer does not do any customization it work as you wrote above.

- did not quite understand this line ? Did you meant about external / internal wsdl binding customizations when you say "certain customization" ? If ,yes, then these binding custonization is not related to adding ?wsdl to endpoint url.

Apart from this. To cosume a web service what do we need.?

Here i shall assume you are asking if we have a WSDL URL, what else do we need to make client of this web service and start calling web methods in this Web Service.
You shall need
a. WSDL URL (or Endpoint URL [ to which you can add '?wsdl' to get corresponding WSDL URL)
b. Java version which has wsimport command utility. wsimport shall generate all required client side web service artificats (incluiding JAXB artifacts also)

Monica Shiralkar
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

did not quite understand this line ? Did you meant about external / internal wsdl binding customizations when you say "certain customization" ? If ,yes, then these binding custonization is not related to adding ?wsdl to endpoint url.

No. I was searching this on internet and saw that it is not a general rule that after the end point url if we put ?wsdl it will give the wsdl. It may be different too.

Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
thanks for correcting me .
Appreciate if you can share online link which mention that we can different output if we append ?wsdl in end point url

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There is no standard for how a WS might returns its WSDL - it depends on the SOAP implementation being used.

Abhay Agarwal
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Ulf for sharing this information.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic