• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Add progressbar to project for listen the swingworker updates

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

I have a problem with progress bar implementation to my project. Let me explain it;

I have Jframe named GUI. Filled with 2 datechooser combo box and 1 Buton.

And i have a Swingworker class named "MySwingWorker" for my long running task just like this;

My Buton action in GUI just like this;

Just i want add a progress bar for listening MySwingWorker's setProgress updates. When buton clicked swingworker should executed and progress bar should come to screen. I read many articles about that but not understand correctly. Because i am beginner in JAVA.

Question1: Should i (create new class) or (implement to current gui or swingworker class) for progressbar?

Question2: Should i fired progress bar first and execute swingworker from progressbar class? or should i execute swingworker first and fired progress bar later and how?

Thanks in advance.

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would start with this tutorial: How to Use Progress Bars. I'm not sure how you would interface your SwingWorker code, but perhaps after you work your way through that tutorial and study the examples included with it you will see how. If not, then by all means come back and ask a follow-up question about your new code.

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hi Taylan,

in addition to the documentation about progress bars, in this code from
Oracle you see an example of how to combine it with a SwingWorker.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/displayCode.html?code=http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/ProgressBarDemoProject/src/components/ProgressBarDemo.java

Greetz,
Piet

Taylan Altay Senturk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Piet Souris wrote:hi Taylan,

in addition to the documentation about progress bars, in this code from
Oracle you see an example of how to combine it with a SwingWorker.

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/displayCode.html?code=http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/ProgressBarDemoProject/src/components/ProgressBarDemo.java

Greetz,
Piet

Hi Piet,

I already check this and below articles thanks for suggestion. But in this article all progress bar attached to Main Gui and Swingworkers not use any GUI variables. In my project, i must use GUI variables for get the dates etc..

If you must use GUI variables in Worker you must create constructor in Worker you know. Just like this;

When i use this constructor in Worker, i can't use Worker instance anywhere. When i write below code in other class i can get error.

So if i use constructor in SwingWorker for get variables from GUI, I can't create any other constructor in any other class for reach to MySwingWorker. And i dont know how i solve it

Taylan Altay Senturk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also My GUI looks like below ss;

Just i want when i press GO buton MySwingWorker executed and appearing new progressbar jframe (progressbar may be creating in other class i dont know) Above code work succesfully and return user selected values. But i dont listen "setProgress" command of MySwingWorkers.

I know i must create progressbar and use something like below;

But how ? Should i create new jframe form for progress bar? If yes i can't use MySwingWorker worker1 = new MySwingWorker(); command in new progressbar class because of MySwingWorker constructor.
If no- Where should i create new progress bar jframe ?

Really i am confused about 4-5 days Any comments are welcome.

Paul Clapham
Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So what's the problem here? Your SwingWorker needs a reference to the ProgressBar so that it can update it? Then just give it that reference. Passing it the reference via the constructor would be the simplest approach.

Taylan Altay Senturk
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I create new class for progressbar named ProgressBar;

MySwingWorker worker = new MySwingWorker(); line is return error an says;
"constructor MySwingworker in class MyswingWorker cannot be applied to given types;"

EDIT:
I solve this problem define second constructr in MySwingWorker just like this;

and edit my buton action in GUI just like this;

But when i press buton in GUI, progressbar appearing but not updating but MySwingWorker executed and return results to screen.

What's that smell? I think this tiny ad may have stepped in something.
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic