• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

change database specification

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
An open source project has been designed for use only with mysql windows version. As a _novice_, how to start to review the source code to change, so that a user can select other SQL database servers?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Welcome to JavaRanch.

My first, off the cuff, remark would be that this is perhaps not the best task for a novice (in what?) to tackle.

The second remark would be: all the JDBC-related code. This may sound snippy, but -not knowing anything about this project- it's probably about the most precise advice any of us can give. The connection parameters obviously would be different, and there may be MySQL-specific SQL code.

jay arrow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So, in principle, it is possible, but a major project.

For the record, the source code is available via sourceforge, at: http://sourceforge.net/projects/openlca/files/openlca_framework/1.3.4/openlca-1.3.4.20131218-sources.zip/download. So far eclipse has been used to look at the class files.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In software, anything is possible. The question is whether it is worth the time and effort required. For example it could be that it uses MySQL features that have no direct corresponding features in other DBs - that could involve having to rewrite stored procedures, or redesigning the DB schema. Or none of that.

If this was my problem I'd post in the developer's mailing list (or wherever the developers hang out) and ask about this.

Another question would be: what prevents you from using MySQL with this software?

jay arrow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
> If this was my problem I'd post in the developer's mailing list (or wherever the developers hang out) and ask about this.

On the basis of previous posts, it is evident that there is no interest in resolving the scenario of linux usage

> Another question would be: what prevents you from using MySQL with this software?

It doesn't work; a public class file that contains:

private final String ADMIN_EXE = SEP + "bin" + SEP + "mysqladmin.exe";

and no apparent ability to call the linux equivalent, suggests a need to do something different...

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

jay arrow wrote:An open source project has been designed for use only with mysql windows version.

However the openLCA site says:

Versions are available for Windows, Mac, and Linux

jay arrow
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to eclipse error log and programmer forum, there's an error with the "ant build". Currently trying to understand what this means. The linux version installs and runs, but doesn't operate fully, due to database connection configuration, I think. Further investigation has found that database connection is successful with "localhost", but not "127.0.0.1" which is identical?

Anyway, withdrawn my mistaken claim that the project is designed for use with windows; a more accurate description is that documentation is only biased towards windows usage; linux users need to do a bit more work!

It would be nice to be able to change database though, e.g. to choose postgresql or even an xml database.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

jay arrow wrote:> Another question would be: what prevents you from using MySQL with this software?

It doesn't work; a public class file that contains:

private final String ADMIN_EXE = SEP + "bin" + SEP + "mysqladmin.exe";

and no apparent ability to call the linux equivalent, suggests a need to do something different...

But it's open source software, so there should be no difficulty to substitute the Linux equivalent and recompile it, yes?

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic