• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Eclipse IDEs

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello:

I am new in an organization and need some advice. I am getting ready to meet with the current application developer or the past developer. They have been utilizing Eclipse IDE with ant and/or maven. I wonder, if I wanted to be "forward looking", meaning using an Eclipse IDE with ant already installed or at least compatible with ant, which IDE should I install? Also, which ant package, if any would I additionally need to install?

Finally, do you have any recommendations regarding the use of the most current JDK and JRE. I heard the last release about two months ago broke everything where I used to work, I think that was version 50.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Also, this application uses .JSPS and is built on WOW! I am also seeking to utilize OWASP/ESAPI instead of WOW! for security.

Thanks,
Michele

author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hmm, I haven't noticed any issues with JDK 1.7.0_51, which I am using for all development (I sort of have to keep the JDK up-to-date or my VPN software gives me fits), but then I might not be using the same classes that your team relies on. I recall a 1.6 update that caused us problems several years back. But having said this, our official build via Jenkins still use an older JDK 1.6 (one of these days I'm going to write a story to update the Jenkins build environment).

As far as forward thinking, Maven would be the way to go (as opposed to Ant) mainly because of the build consistency (all Maven projects pretty much look the same, which can''t be said for Ant where every project can be radically different) and the dependency handling (a godsend once you embrace it and apply it to everything you do, and especially if you run your own Maven repository using Nexus or Artifactory).

Michele Smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you for the response. What are your thoughts about jre 51?

Thanks,
Michele

Peter Johnson
author
Android Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Are you asking about jdk vs. jre? If you are doing development work, you'll want the jdk (it comes with a jre so you don't need to install a jre separately).

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic