• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Dreamcar assignment: What is the role of the inventory system & Scheduling system?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I have just started my Dreamcar assignment and would be grateful for advice from you, exp. from people who have passed this assignment..:

1.) Inventory system in use case "Schedule Work in Factory"???
It says there, that "the system sends the bid details to the INVENTORY SYSTEM so that the work that relies on the parts request can now be scheduled" ==> is that a typing error?? Why should the inventory system be involved with the factory scheduling?? Do they mean the scheduling system instead???

2.) In general, in which use case do you see the Inventory System involved??
In the actual use case descriptions it is not explicitely mentioned (apart from the "Schedule work in Factory" use case where it is obviously a typo...lol..).....I was thinking that it might be involved in the "Post Request For Parts" use case. There it says that the system reponds with a validation that the part and quantity is valid bid request. I thought that here the inventory system is called to get the number of parts in stock and to "validate" that a dreamcar employee does not create a bid request for parts that are already in stock.....does that make sense??

Thanks for your answer..

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
1) I think they are implying text there. When I read that sentence, I thought of it as "the system sends the bid details to the INVENTORY SYSTEM so that the system knows when work that relies on the parts request can now be scheduled". In other words, I think they are implying that the scheduling system queries the inventory system to find out. But if the bid details weren't in the inventory system, querying it wouldn't give you that information..

2) Yes, that is my interpretation based on your posted sentence as well.

oli mueller
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your reply:

hmm...Based on what your are saying, the DreamCars Application does NOT directly interact with the Scheduling System at all, correct?? The only interaction you describe is that the SCHEDULING SYSTEM (which is an external system) calls the INVENTORY SYSTEM (which is also an external system). In that case, I would not model the SCHEDULING SYSTEM at all, since it is not directly involved, right?? I mean, the assignment is about the DreamCars Application, not about modelling workflows between other external systems, right??

I would be interested IF and WHERE exactly other people who have passed the Dream Cars Assignment have modelled the SCHEDULING SYSTEM?? I mean, in which use case...who is calling it etc....it is absolutely unclear to me...

Thanks for your help...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Oli for posting this topic.

I was also wondering the interaction between application and scheduling system.

Please share if you have any latest update. Appreciate your help!

Thanks
Rahul

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic