• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Disadvantages of MVC

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi there,

*first post* I'm trying to answer a question for a Uni assignment about MVC and I stumbled across this forum - which had a few good posts dated from 2002 and I just wanted to know if, 12 years later, there were any more well known disadvantages of using MVC (in general)?

I'm aware that one disadvantage is the initial "increased complexity", especially in very small programs where the pay off is not great.

Anyone got any others? I think i'll hang around a while!

Thanks!

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Brendan Short wrote:Anyone got any others?

Not really. And I'm not even sure that the one you cited is true - although perhaps "perceived complexity" is reasonable.

The fact is that programming - any programming - is a process of breaking down problems and separating out the parts, and MVC is just a fancy term for that (although I'm quite sure there are entire books on the subject, with formalised "rules").

Many of us actually spend a lot of time telling beginners (usually tied up in reams of GUI code) to separate their problem from how it's displayed (the GUI). It just makes sense. It's difficult to deal with the business of playing chess when your mind is also tackling how and where to display all your pawn and knight icons, and the various buttons and boxes and mice you're using for screen control.

Personally, I'm an 'M.dot.C' guy. I leave the 'V' to those that enjoy that sort of stuff.

My 2¢

Winston

PS: Welcome to the Ranch, Brendan!

Ranch Hand
Scala Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
i once refactored a small program to use MVC after i learned about it. i chose this one because it had a lot of Model to it. heh, i don't know, was it any better? i would say not in small projects. divide it up some other way. i usually have helper classes of various sorts.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic