• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java for Dummies: about content

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Barry and welcome to the Ranch,

I was wondering if the book will include anything about Java EE or other Java technologies. It's probably a dumb question given that most "for dummies" books are meant for beginners, which in Java's case would be Java SE.

In case it doesn't, do you see yourself working on a book about JEE in the future?

Best regards

Author
Android Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Charles,
You're correct with your guess that "Java For Dummies" doesn't cover Java EE. (I mention Java EE in a sentence in Chapter 2. Does that count?) Anyway, I thought about a Java EE For Dummies book a long time ago, but now I think technologies like Spring and Hibernate are more popular. Also, I'm always nervous about writing a book in the "For Dummies" series on an advanced-level topic. Seems to me that most of the people who are ready to learn Java EE are interested in fast-track books rather than I-understand-how-intimidating-this-subject-can-be books. What do you think?

Charles D. Ward
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Barry, thanks for your fast reply.

The reason I ask is because I feel like I'm ready to take the next step from Java SE, but I'm finding myself overwhelmed by the huge amount of web technologies available that I don't even know where to begin. For now I decided to go with Java EE first since I'm already familiar with Java SE and JEE developers are very much in demand over here, but when I started peeking into it I found myself again overwhelmed by its hugeness (and all those acronyms!!) that I thought to myself "I need a book(s) that can guide me through this and explain it to me like I'm a 10 year old". It's like a whole new world to me because I've never done any web programming at all (not even a simple HTML webpage), so I thought I'd take the opportunity and ask you about a "for dummies" book about JEE.

Thank you for your time!

ps. excuse my poor english

Barry Burd
Author
Android Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Charles, Thanks for your comments. (Your perspective on this is interesting.) I'll put this topic on the list for discussion with my Wiley editor.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic