• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Head First Javascript: open source libraries?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Eric Freeman and Elisabeth Robson, welcome to the ranch!

When starting out with JavaScript it can be a pretty daunting task to put together a solid development environment and choosing from a wide range of open source libraries.
Does your book give any advice around this?

Thanks,
Peter

author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Peter,
The book doesn't give any advice on those topics, and you're right - they are daunting tasks! The book focuses on the language fundamentals.

However, those topics are really good ones, and it's something I'd like to post about on wickedlysmart.com. One of our ideas is to tackle larger case studies (to help readers put their new JS skills to good use), and in the process deal with these questions about development environments, development processes, and libraries and frameworks.

I agree, these are topics that need to be addressed. For newbie JS programmers, actually even intermediate ones, it's hugely intimidating to delve into this rapidly changing area. I feel like there's a new JS framework announced every day!! How to keep up?!

Elisabeth

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic