• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Importing a Web Application From Old Eclipse Project

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Ok I just installed a new Eclipse on my machine. It uses the same workspace as the old one did. The old projects do not show up in the project explorer. How do I get my new Eclipse to recognize and allow me to work on that old Dynamic Web Project?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What version of Eclipse are you moving from/to? Does the new Eclipse have the same web plugin installed? Do you have the old Eclipse still installed?

The answers to these questions will let us suggest what to do.

Joe Ridener
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:What version of Eclipse are you moving from/to? Does the new Eclipse have the same web plugin installed? Do you have the old Eclipse still installed?

The answers to these questions will let us suggest what to do.

No the old Eclipse APplication took a dive. I only made a special point to hold on to the /workspace directory and it's containing .metadata directories.

When I try to rename my project to the same name JoesWebsite (its a dynamic web project ) it will not allow me saying that this project already exists and to Import a New Web Project into my projects ( even though I am working out of the same directory that it is contained in)

Joe Ridener
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Also I am now on an Indigo with the EE already installed on it from a Kepler

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Wait. You downgraded from Kepler to Indigo? That's unlikely to work well. Eclipse supports upgrading well; downgrading not as much.

One option is to create a new web project (in a new workspace.) Then paste in the Java/JSP/etc files. That way you get the correct Eclipse configuration.

Joe Ridener
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I see...

I was just about to consider copy and pasting and re-doing my URL's and change the name of the site as well...

So next to your advice i think Ill do that...

Thank you Jeane!

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
An eclipse Project is not the same thing as a project directory. The project is an object in an Eclipse workspace, but the actual code directory can be located somewhere else and/or under some other name. So dropping a directory into your workspace is not enough. You have to construct or import the Project. Even if there's a ".project" file in the directory, I don't believe Eclipse will scan and detect it, as it needs to make note of it in the workspace metadata directory.

I don't think downgrading a level is going to be a major concern, but if you import a directory into a newly-defined project, you may need to tweak the project's facets and other properties.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Tim Holloway wrote: Even if there's a ".project" file in the directory, I don't believe Eclipse will scan and detect it, as it needs to make note of it in the workspace metadata directory.

Correct. You have to do import as Eclipse project for that to work. I have had problems downgrading personally. Maybe I'm unlucky?

I wish to win the lottery. I wish for a lovely piece of pie. And I wish for a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic