• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

PopUpWindow with Fragments inside implemented on MapActivity without using FragmentActivity

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi CodeRanch Commnuity,

Basically, I've already ask this question on another site:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23213563/popupwindow-with-fragments-inside-implement-on-mapactivity-without-using-fragmen

However, I still haven't received any answer. Hoping that I will have some on this forum. Thanks

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
You want a popup with 5 fragments, sitting on top of a Map. You are having problems because, in order to get the Maps you need a MapActivity which doesn't play nice with Fragments, and so your method of getting Fragments on the popup is to use another activity which is a FragmentActivity. The problem with this is there is some issue with resuming the Map activity when you are done with the fragment activity. You want a fix that lets you create a popup windows which lets you use fragments but which does not use FragmentActivity. Does that sound like the problem?

There are a lot of questions:
1) Why do you need a popup? Why not normal navigation to another activity?
2) What problems are you having with resuming the Map activity?
3) Can you show a small example of what you are trying to do?

My guess is that you are thinking too much about the wrong problem. Your problem isn't about fragments and fragment activities, it is about resuming a MapActivity. Here is what I would suggest:
- Don't use MapActivity. Use the newer Google Maps API v2. It doesn't require you to use a MapActivity.
- Debug the resuming problem. What is the problem? Where does it come from? Error message? Misbehavior?

I think your time will be better spent chasing the resuming problem than trying to come up with a scheme to display fragments differently (which may be difficult to find, hackey, and still leave you without a solution to the problem).

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic